Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/6/09

A Recommendation for THE YEAR THE SWALLOWS CAME EARLY by Kathryn Fitzmaurice


A year ago, I was in the midst of revising my middle grade novel. My editor had told me there was something still missing in the voice of my main character--something intangible. She suggested I think of THE WIZARD OF OZ, which begins in black and white, then bursts into color. In some of my scenes she was getting those bursts of color, but others were still in static black and white. I was struggling with what was needed to elevate those scenes to technicolor.

The answer came to me in one of those "aha" moments in the midst of an SCBWI presentation by Molly O'Neill (Asst. Editor at The Bowen Press), in which she was reading the first pages of the books which would debut with HarperCollins' new imprint. These are the opening words of Kathryn Fitzmaurice's middle grade novel, THE YEAR THE SWALLOWS CAME EARLY:

"We lived in a perfect stucco house, just off the sparkly Pacific, with a lime tree in the back yard and pink and yellow roses gone wild around a picket fence. But that wasn't enough to keep my daddy from going to jail the year I turned eleven. I told my best friend, Frankie, that it was hard to tell what something was like on the inside just by looking at the outside. And that our house was like one of those See's candies with beautiful swirled chocolate on the outside, but sometimes hiding coconut flakes on the inside, all gritty and hard, like undercooked white rice."

Something about that conversational dip into both the character's (Groovy Robinson) soul and the author's (Kathryn Fitzmaurice) struck a chord in me. In that instant I realized I needed to change the point of view in my own novel from 3rd person to 1st person in order to find a stronger, more colorful voice for my character.

I remembered the title of the novel, but not the author's name. Five months later, at the SCBWI conference in LA, I was invited to have lunch with a group of authors from the Class of 2k9. When everyone introduced themselves and the titles of their books, I recognized THE YEAR THE SWALLOWS CAME EARLY and met Kathryn in person. I was so excited to make that connection!

This is the week of Kathryn's debut as an author, and THE YEAR THE SWALLOWS CAME EARLY will not disappoint you. You'll find that "Kathryn Fitzmaurice's tender debut novel is as full of promise as the swallows that return home to San Juan Capistrano every spring."

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I have a reader's copy of this book that I picked up at MBA (Midwest Booksellers Association) last fall. It is near the bottom of my pile of books to read. I shall move it to the top.
Thanks for writing about your process with your editor and how it moved your writing. I really appreciated this story.

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

Christy said...
Ditto! I am adding this book to my pile. Also sounds like another title that will help me in my quest to tell a story from a child's point of view. Beautiful passage you shared.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great book:)

Mary Bowman-Kruhm said...

Would that we could all have a similar aha moment and write a book an editor just loves!

==Mary

Kathryn Fitzmaurice said...

Hi Edie, Thank you for recommending The Year the Swallows Came Early, and for your generous compliments. It was so fun to meet you at the LA SCBWI

Mark said...

Edie, I saw a review for Swallows at my local library, just last week, so I already had it on my list. But hearing how it helped with your own writing was great to read.

David LaRochelle said...

What a wonderful opening for a book. My list of books to read keeps getting longer!