Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/5/09

TENDER MORSELS by Margo Lanagan


Based on the Grimm Borther's SNOW WHITE AND ROSE RED, TENDER MORSELS is definitely a book for matured readers.

After being sexually abused by her father and raped by a gang of village youngsters, Liga is traumatized. She escapes to a safe heaven where she and her two daughters-- Branza and Urdda--are protected. But as a teenager, Urdda crosses the border from this heaven and the village were "vivid people" live.

Margo Lanagan's brilliant storytelling and language kept me reading after the first bestial but honest scenes. This, her first novel, made me think about human nature and where I stand in this world of cruelty and gentleness, prejudice and acceptance. It made me prefer my village with all its flaws than a safe heaven where no "vivid people" live.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I have started Tender Morsels--only two chapters in, but the language is amazing-- other worldly. I have read Lanagan's short stories and it is her ability to create another universe of humanity that seems to reflect the worst and the best in us that is so moving.

Christy said...

Can't help but be drawn to that dramatic and beautiful jacket. I'll add this to my list of must reads.

Lauren said...

I am with you Christy! I love this cover-- one of the reasons I decided to buy it!

Stephanie said...

I can't wait to read this one:)

Diane Adams said...

The cover caught my eye too. It's on my list.

Mark said...

Great to see another book that doesn't shy from life's realities, no matter how brutal. Who knows how many kids might benefit from this title? Thanks for the recommendation.