Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/8/09

Favorite books

Hello Papas Calientes,
After three years, my book I Can Do It Myself! is finally in print. I'm pleased as punch with Nancy Hayashi's illustrations, and today it is my favorite book.

But my other equally favorite choice is 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore, by Jenny Offill and Nancy Carpenter, about a mischevious little girl who offers no apologies for her bad behavior.

Sonya Sones' semi-autobiographical novel, Stop Pretending, what happened when my big sister went crazy, is my favorite young adult book. She was a student of Myra Cohn Livingston's and uses prose to great effect in conveying the confused feelings of the younger sister.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

Congratulations on your book Diane! I will look for it at my library! It is wonderful to have your own book be your favorite book. I know the book by Jenny Offill-- wonderfully illustrated and told.I do not know Sonya Sones' book-- I will look for that one as well... I love prose that has been inspired by the study of poetry.
Thank you!

john said...

Congratulations to you Diane. After all the work and all the wait, it's wonderful to hold in your hands the book that began with your own idea. Now it goes out into the world for the rest of us to enjoy. Congratulations.

Stephanie said...

Diane, I love it!! Congratulations!

Mark said...

Diane. Congratulations on your new book, and thanks for the two other reading suggestions.

Edie Hemingway said...

Diane,

Congratulations on your brand new book! The cover illustration looks delightful and inviting.

Christy said...

Your illustrator and I are represented by the same agent--didn't realize she was illustrating YOUR book! Can't wait to find it. EXCITING! Nancy Carpenter (17 things) is a friend and she had so much fun with that book. I love her humor and creativity--glad you admire that book too.

David LaRochelle said...

Hip, Hip, Hoo-ray! Congratulations, Diane! I, too, will keep a lookout for your book!

Diane Adams said...

Thanks you guys! Christy, I had no idea your connections to Nancy Hayashi (such a nice person) and Nancy Carpenter. I read 17 Things at my workshops because it's so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Great! Congratulation!! Would like to pick this book!!