Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/10/09

The Final Book by a Master


The book I have been recommending lately is: The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio, by Lloyd Alexander. Those familiar with Alexander’s writing have come to expect certain things from his novels, and this one (his last, published after his death) does not disappoint. Memorable characters, crisp writing, and witty dialogue carry the reader through a story where humor, danger, romance, adventure, and nuggets of wisdom abound.

For me, one of the most appealing aspects of this book is how humor is used to convey important themes and life lessons. You get the message(s) without being thwacked over the head; indeed, they come effortlessly as you accompany the title character on a quest for treasure that winds up being a journey of self discovery (like all great journeys?). You also discover, along with young Carlo, that “the journey is the treasure.”

This book can be read purely for the joy of losing yourself in good fiction, or as a primer on pacing, characterization, plot, and style for writers. Even the dedication is inspirational: “For young dreamers, and old ones.”

I wish this wasn’t Alexander’s last book. I have learned so much from him about writing and about life. The world of children’s literature has truly lost a giant, but there is solace in knowing he left a body of work that can be enjoyed by all for generations to come.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I haven't read any of his yet. I will definitely look them up.( That always makes me a little envious, when I have read all of an author's books and a reader has all of them before them...)

Lauren said...

I too have never read any of Lloyd Alexander's books-- another one to add to my pile or shall I say, many more books to add to my pile!

Edie Hemingway said...

This has been a valuable blog topic for me--finding so many more good books to read!