Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/4/12

Time...

Time is weird. Seriously. Sometimes it drags by and sometimes you are left sitting there, wondering where it went.
Right now, I'm working on the draft for the sequel to my YA novel The Compound. I just saw the contract the other day, and it has a delivery date of Sept 30. I honestly never look at deadlines. Why? Because I always get things done way before they're due. I have no idea how I do that because I am the BIGGEST time waster on the planet.
Each day, I always plan to get my writing done early. I have my coffee, go for my run, come back and eat and get ready to write. But sometimes I check the television first. Usually Channel 244, SyFy. If they're having a cool marathon, say Battlestar Galactica or the X-Files? Yeah. The writing isn't gonna happen. And sometimes, I know my DVR is full of new episodes I haven't watched yet. The Walking Dead. Once Upon a Time. You can't let those wait for days...
Yes. I am a tv junkie. It most likely stems from growing up with an antenna on the top of the house that gave us only two television stations, three if the wind was blowing just right. And my parents always got to choose which shows to watch. Which means, in the here and now, the little kid in me exalts at having 300 channels and all day to pick what I want to watch.
Maybe I'll grow up one day....
Until then, I'll get the writing done. When I'm finished watching reruns of Lost, that is...

3 comments:

Lauren said...

I didn't know this side of you Stephanie! TV junkie indeed. I imagine it stirs your muse. And you are the first writer I have met who finishes before their deadline! Bravo!

Stephanie said...

I only watch the tv shows with really smart writing. That way, it's research ;)

David LaRochelle said...

Maybe that's why I watch so little TV now, because I watched tons of TV growing up (The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, Love American Style, and any and all game shows). Congratulations on watching all that TV, beating your deadlines, AND getting all the other things you get accomplished, such as keeping us potatoes lined up with topics.