Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/9/12

Marketing Ups and Downs

I have yet to meet an author or illustrator whose favorite part of the business is marketing, and if given the choice, I would far rather help promote a friend's book than my own. So that's one of many reasons for cultivating a close community of author and illustrator friends--best in person, but also helpful and far-reaching through professional organizations, SCBWI, Facebook, and other online sources (such as goodreads, amazon reviews, etc.). Word of mouth is an amazing vehicle.

I do not have as many productive ideas as Christy and David have shared, but shortly before ROAD TO TATER HILL (which is set in the North Carolina mountains) was released, I did do a thorough search of all the independent book stores in the state of NC (not my home state), with the idea that they might be my best opportunity for book sales. Who doesn't like to read a book set in a place familiar to them? Before the actual release, my husband and I planned a road trip through NC, stopping at as many "indies" as possible. I always had to bolster myself before I went inside, armed with some ARCs of the book and postcards I'd had made with the book cover on the front and a nice review and the ISBN on the back. I introduced myself as an author (stating Delacorte Press/Random House as the publisher, so they would know it was not self-published), left a postcard, and, if the manager/owner seemed particularly interested, I left an ARC, as well. When the book was actually available, I followed up with a mailing (the same postcard), which I hoped would be a good reminder. I don't really have a way of judging how successful this was, but my book was nominated for a SIBA (Southern Independent Booksellers Assoc.) award that fall.

Another very successful effort was getting in touch with the current professors of Children's Literature at Appalachian State University, not only my alma mater, but also located in the very vicinity of my book's setting. I gave two professors copies of the book, which they read, enjoyed, and subsequently used in their curriculum. They invited me to speak to their classes, not only that semester (Fall 2009), but every semester since! One of the professors nominated the book for the NC Battle of the Books List (which it is currently on) and has also helped to spread word to NC librarians and teachers, resulting in many school visits.

Patience is a word to keep in mind. When a book is launched, we (especially new authors) think we have about three months for the book to take off and catch readers' eyes. After that, the publishers move on to their new lists and can't afford to do more to promote a book from a previous list. And it's sad that to be considered for major awards, books have to be noticed within their year of publication--especially hard if they are released late in the year! However, I've found that my readership is growing now in the third year since publication, and I am receiving even more letters from readers as time goes by. Thank heavens those state reading lists give a little more leeway, but usually not more than three years.

Ten years after publication, my first co-authored book, BROKEN DRUM, was picked up by Scholastic Book Fairs--very unusual! And because it had been out a long time, Scholastic decided to give it a new look/cover and a new title, DRUMS OF WAR, which ultimately gave it new life. A year later, they licensed a second co-authored book, REBEL HART. Now BROKEN DRUM has been optioned for a film and is currently under development with the hope it will be released within the 4-year window of the 150th Anniversary of the Civil War.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Edie, these are great ideas! You did work hard, were very productive and you do have some good new suggestions for us. I love the idea of connecting your book to the location. Your work has a very strong sense of place. It's brilliant connecting to the professors of Children's Literature in that area.Having teachers use your book in their curriculum, is a surefire way of building devoted readers. Good reminder to be patient. I am trying to be patient waiting for your next book!

Edie Hemingway said...

Thank you, Christy!

Stephanie said...

You worked really hard with that. I think it is about trying to exert some control over a situation we don't really have control over. But I do believe that it does take time for a book to find its audience. Sometimes it never does, but we've both been lucky that way:)

Lauren said...

Edie, you did work very hard marketing your books! I am so impressed with the entering into independent bookstores and promoting your books right then and there. That is something I need to learn to do. And connecting with place is an excellent idea. Well done.

john said...

Edie, this is excellent news about the book fairs and film. You are right about a it taking awhile sometimes for readers to find a book. Congratulations to you on this good news.

David LaRochelle said...

Some very smart ideas, Edie. I agree it was a brilliant move to contact the professors at the Appalachian State University. Sometimes we are lucky and our books get noticed, and sometimes we make that luck happen.

Mark said...

Cold-calling on bookstores is definitely bold as well as inspirational!! Your story about Drums of War continuing to find new readers is like Sephanie's experience with The Compound -- both success stories to help the rest of us keep the faith! And definite congratulations on the movie option. I'm excited to see how your story is transferred to film.