Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/29/11

Speaking of cows. . .

When I was eleven I was a cow. Actually this is only half-true because I was only half a cow. My best friend, Leslie and I created a joint Halloween costume. We used a grocery bag for the head, added on ears and even curly paper eyelashes. We painted big brown spots on a sheet, braided yarn for a tail, and wore a cowbell. The best part was that we practiced walking in step, sitting and crossing our legs simultaneously. Leslie was the tallest girl in our class, so guess which half she got to be? And that meant all the kids at school felt entitled to slap me on the behind. It was worth it though. Sharing made for the best Halloween ever. My daughter was inspired to have this experience too. Here she is in '05 as Dolly Llama in a costume I created for her and her friend. She's lucky; she's the tall one.



More stuff you never knew about me:

I used to wake up in the dark and change into my school clothes then get back under the covers until it was light. I wanted to be ready. My father caught me at it one time and told me it was only 1:00AM. I'm the most eager person you're likely to meet.

I was hit by a flying saucer while walking my pet skunk. Wait—do you already know this story? Stephanie does because it shows we were meant to collaborate on Elizabeti's Doll. In Massachusetts, my father built stonewalls surrounding our land and flanking the steps that zigzagged up our back hill. I claimed a striped stone for my own, wrapped some rope around it and dragged it behind me—PepĂ© Le Pew. It was a windy day in early spring. Our aluminum snow saucers still leaned against the cellar door. One caught the current, flew across the yard, and hit me under the nose. You can still see the scar from the stitches. In high school I found an advertisement in a magazine from some children's book institute. I sent in a variation on this story and received a letter back assuring me I could have a career in children's books. Guess you could say I was marked for this.

10 comments:

Lauren said...

Indeed you were marked for this! A flying saucer and a stone skunk! I love it! I also love the photo of "Dolly Llama" and learning how your daughter wanted to follow in your footsteps in her own way. From the sound of your paper-bag cow, you were showing very early signs of paper creativity. Wonderful!

Stephanie said...

I love this. Especially the child who gets up at 1 am to get dressed. You so have to use that one day. ( Or I will!)

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy said...

I'm using it in my middle grade I'm working on.

Edie Hemingway said...

Christy,
What an interesting window into your childhood and the forerunners of your creative career! And I love the fact that you used to wake up in the dark and dress for school with such eagerness. My son used to do the same--get up in the middle of the night, take a shower, dress for school, etc. I'd often find him fast asleep in the family room recliner when I got up in the morning. All he had to do was wake up, grab some breakfast, and walk out the door to catch the bus.

betsy woods said...

This is a delight!

Diane Adams said...

Wow! You are probably the most prepared person I've ever known. I need some of that in my life! I just recently discovered that if you pick out your clothes the night before, it's much easier to get out the door on time in the morning. Who knew? (You did!)

David LaRochelle said...

Oh, I wish I could have seen your tandem cow costume, Christy! I hope you got lots of extra candy if you went out trick-or-treating like that!
And that Dolly Llama costume is fantastic!

I, too, love the idea of you waking up so early to get ready for school (being late is one of my biggest fears, and I'll arrive somewhere 60 minutes early rather than be five minutes late).

Christy said...

Wish I had a picture of that cow costume. I may have to write to my best friend from that time and see if her family ever took one. She is a main character in the middle grade I'm writing.

David, I so relate to driving places 60 minutes early! I am always one of the first comers at a party, even when I try my hardest not to be, I'm on time and everyone else is late.

Mark said...

Christy, thanks for the three great glimpses into your childhood. Your cow costume story reminds me of the hilarious first chapter of Otis Spotford, in which Otis wears the rear half of a bull in a school play... Sounds like another theme is developing amongst the potatoes, too: be on time, or don't go at all!!!