Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/22/09

Whidbey Island MFA Program Mock Printz Awards

At the residency this January, we discussed twelve young adult books that librarians have been talking about as possible Printz Awards. We each placed blue post-its (B) on our four most favorite books, and a red post-it (R) on what we thought should be the medal.

Our results:

(BBBBB-RRRRR) TENDER MORSELS by Margo Lanagan

(BBBBB) NATION by Terry Pratchett RR

(BBBBB-Possible Newbery?) THE HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins

(BBBB-R) THE ADORATION OF JENNA FOX by Mary E. Pearson

(BB-R) MADAPPLE by Christina Meldrum

(B) MY MOST EXECELLENT YEAR by Steve Kluger

(B)THE LAST-EXIT TO NORMAL by Michael Harmon

(BB) THE DISRUPTABLE HISTORY OF FRANKIE LANDUA-BANKS by E. Lockhart

(B) LITTLE BROTHER by Cory Doctorow

(B) PAPER TOWNS by John Green

IMPOSSIBLE by Nancy Werlin


The actual awards will be announced next Monday morning in Denver,

beginning at 7:45 MT. You can watch the announcements live through

streaming video at http://ala.unikron.com/

Full information about finding out about the winners is on the ALA website at:

http://www.ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pressreleases2008/december20
08/youthmediaawardsannouncement.cfm



This week we have been discussing 2000 Printz Award Medal MONSTER by Walter Dean Myers. Considering that we just got our first black president, this was the right week to discuss this book. There was no doubt in our minds that this book deserved the Printz Medal.

8 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks, Carmen, for the reading list. I'll look forward to exploring these titles.

Lauren said...

Well, I have read The Hunger Games and LOVE it, except the ending leaves one hanging and panting for the next book. I also read The Adoration of Jenna Fox-- not my all out favorite, but great discussions came from it. So many books to read!! What joy!

David LaRochelle said...

Yes, thanks for the great reading list! I feel very much out-of-the-loop for new books of the past year and have no clue as to what might be winning the big awards next Monday.

I agree, MONSTER was a very powerful book, and definitely deserved the Printz.

Lauren said...

Oh! and I just picked up Tender Morsels-- I know I shouldn't buy a book for its cover, but what a gorgeous cover-- I could not resist!

Edie Hemingway said...

Carmen, thanks for this advance list of possible winners! It's fun to know which books might be in the running for major awards. Now I have to get busy with my reading. One book I would have liked to have seen on your list is A Thousand Never Evers by Shana Burg.

Carmen said...

Edie and all: I should have said that some of the books, especially those publsihed in the fall, are not listed because I didn't dare ask my students to read more during the holidays.

Lauren, it's not just the cover.

I will edit the Bs and Rs when my students refresh my mosquito mind. But basically, we voted for NATION and MORSELS.

john said...

I better get reading.

Stephanie said...

I need to read Tender Morsels. I wish I would have stolen a few of those from your room when I had the chance:)