Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/20/09

Atticus, Obama, Scout and Christy

Who didn’t see Gregory Peck in TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD? The American Film Institute chose Atticus Finch as the greatest hero in 100 years of film history. The book was voted best novel of the century. It’s no surprise that throughout the recent presidential campaign there were slogans suggesting “Atticus Finch for President!” This weekend I finished reading Harper Lee’s Pulitzer Prize-winning classic for the first time. The story is set in the segregated southern United States of the 1930s. Harper Lee’s hero is an attorney who fights to prove the innocence of a black man unjustly accused of rape. “Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we start is no reason not to try to win,” Atticus says. The racism of that period was too powerful and the jury condemned an innocent man to death. I wish Atticus, along with all the others who fought for racial equality could have watched today’s inauguration of Barack Obama. Yet it was not Atticus, but rather Scout who provided the incentive to finally pick up this book.

Over a year ago I enrolled in a Stanford Continuing Education class “Writing Poetry and Fiction for Children.” Our first assignment was most likely a common one. We were instructed to begin writing each day that week with the words, “I remember” and then continue for at least five minutes. There was no intimidation, no writer’s block involved—a great assignment for a beginner like me. The process was exhilarating. I made connections never before considered while reliving experiences from my childhood. A unifying theme became apparent and I wondered if maybe I could shape these exercises into a book. But what kind? A memoir? A middle-grade novel? As an illustrator I have always focused on picture books.

We did not share this first assignment in the writing class, so I decided that I would get some response from my own critique group. One member said my writing reminded her of The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. I checked it out from the local library and had a delightful read. Cisneros somehow gave me “permission” to write vignettes in a non-linear way, pulling episodes together to tell a story.

Last summer I signed up for another Stanford Writing class, this time “The Art of Memoir.” Part of me struggles with the very idea of writing a memoir; it seems indulgent, and self-important. But I wanted to explore where writing from memory writing would take me. This time classmates had opportunities to “workshop” writing in class. Most wrote from adult perspectives; I wrote events as I experienced them as a child—with only partial understanding of things happening around me. I alluded to adult infidelities and family secrets, wrote of our sudden move across the country 3000 miles away from the father I adored, told of my mother’s struggle to make ends meet and eventually the revelation of my parent’s divorce in a time when divorce was uncommon. I wrote of the buoying power of friendship through all of this.

I’m confused about who my audience would be? An adult reading the work could read between the lines. Could a child digest this work? Is memoir a form for children? I like writing in first person with the innocence of a child, but am curious how to present complex adult concepts and stay in a child’s voice. I asked an editor-friend and she recommended To Kill A Mockingbird as a great novel written from a child’s perspective. It is powerful to watch a sense of conscience grow in Scout and her brother, Jem. Harper Lee did not write a children’s book or a memoir. Categorizing is limiting by definition. I welcome suggestions of other titles written from a child’s point of view whether they are memoir, young adult, middle-grade, or adult fiction. I haven’t figured out yet a form for my memory writing, but I’m enjoying the process.

10 comments:

David LaRochelle said...

I'm glad you discovered MOCKINGBIRD, Christy. It may very well be my all-time favorite book. The film is also one of the few movies-from-a-book that I've seen that hasn't been a disappointment.

Good luck venturing into this new realm of writing.

Stephanie said...

Your post was marvelous. I adore TKAM. Funny, I just did an exercise up at Whidbey MFA, making the adults write something from the perspective of their 8 year old self. It turned out to be very emotional. I'm always looking for books like this. Peace Like a River comes to mind, by Leif Enger. Narrated by an 11 yr old boy. One of my faves. I'm sure you've read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn? Another of my faves...

Christy said...

Thanks for the encouragement and tips on titles. I adore A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. That's one of my all time favorites (another fabulous movie too that did justice to the book). I will now go find Peace Like a River in our library.

john said...

Thank you for sharing this process with us Christy. I would not be too concerned with audience at this point. You have deep stories to tell and getting them on paper is what is important. I'd also like to recommend a book with a child narrator that blurs lines: Jim the Boy by Tony Earley.

Christy said...

Thanks John. I wondered about the whole audience thing--whether I should just ignore that question altogether and write. I'm a newbie, so I'm finding my way. I'll look up Jim the Boy by Earley.

Edie Hemingway said...

Christy,
What an interesting post! The retrospective child narrator is a subject that interests me, too. Finding just the right mix of innocence, wisdom, and experience for the voice of the narrator is a complicated task, but also one that adds depth to a story. Here are a few titles that I recommend reading: JACOB HAVE I LOVED, by Katherine Paterson, THE RIVER BETWEEN US, by Richard Peck, WALK TWO MOONS, by Sharon Creech, and THE SILENT BOY, by Lois Lowry. Keep on writing down your memories!

Christy said...

Wow, Edie--you articulated my concerns precisely. Thanks for your reading recommendations. I find it helpful to see how other authors manage this balance.

onepotatotenblogspot.com said...

WHEN I WAS PUERTO RICAN by Esperanza Santiago and BREAKING THROUGH by Francisco Jimenez

Christy said...

Gracias por esas recomendaciones también.

Lauren said...

Christy, I am a bit late in responding, but better late... I loved reading your post-- I am in the midst of writing a story based on my memories from my childhood mixed with fiction-- still channeling my inner child to find the story that works... I happen to love "Criss Cross" by Lynne Rae Perkins. What great reading suggestions you got in response-- I cannot add anymore as they are all the ones I would have suggested... Although "The Yearling" is another classic not to be missed.
Thank you for this post-