Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/2/08

The Quest for Verisimilitude


For me, research provides an opportunity to expand my frame of reference while learning the facts necessary to lend a story verisimilitude. It’s fun because I like to learn, but it can also be helpful in other ways: if I’m stuck on a particular scene, for example, I can take a break and do more research, so it doesn’t feel like I’m wasting my day waiting for inspiration to strike.

Because of the Internet, over the years my research habits have definitely changed. In the “old days” (meaning more than ten years ago) I used to visit one of the University of Washington libraries, and before that, the city library in Fairbanks, on a weekly basis. This meant lots of time at the Reference Desk and the copy machine. Nowadays, 99% of this type of research can be done online while I sit in my writing shack.

The Internet has also altered the search for primary and secondary sources. Instead of being limited to my local library or bookstore’s inventory, nowadays I can order a book from practically anywhere in the world – a convenience that has significantly inflated my book-purchasing budget!

On the other hand, the process for “hands-on” research hasn’t really changed too much: I pack my bags and either jump in the pickup or catch a plane, depending on where I need to go. Whether it’s spending time with the ghosts of the California Gold Rush country, or studying the habits and environment of pikas and marmots in Mount Rainier National Park, this type of research provides a break from my routine and also gives me some much needed exercise! (One of my pika buddies posed for the picture accompanying this post.)

For my next story, however, I face a different challenge. It’s a fantasy set in an alternate world, so where can I travel to do research? The “facts” and “details” of the story will have to come from my own imagination. So instead of traveling I will spend a lot of quiet time brainstorming ideas and letting them marinate while I outline my story. Of course when I get stuck, or if I just need a break, I can always go visit the pikas again . . . .

8 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Mark, I love that word--verisimilitude! I knew what it meant, but still looked it up just to be sure. And I love the photo of the pika--never saw one before, even when visiting Mount Rainier National Park.

Carmen said...

Mark, it would be interesting to hear if you really don't use reseacrh in your next book. There has to be something...

Stephanie said...

The pika is too cute:)

onepotatotenblogspot.com said...

I forgot to say that I love that photo!

Lauren said...

"verisimilitude" is a wonderful word-- I agree with Edie. I also have a hunch that pika may help you with your imagination in the next book. Even with fantasy there is often a lot of research necessary. I know Anne Ursu had to study mythology for her series and I still come across ancient plant remedies and latin words that I am certain JK Rowling must have researched to write the spells and class curriculum found at Hogwarts. I will be interested to hear how your story evolves!

onepotatotenblogspot.com said...

I forgot to say that I love the photo.

Joni said...

I think you *could* do research for your fantasy, Mark; I always end up doing tons, partly because I think it's fun to create worlds that have some tangential connection to our own... and for me that usually means bringing to life something from Earth's myths, or superstitions, or a culture not my own, or... and that all = research. :-)

Have fun either way!

betsy woods said...

Mark, how many ties we have to trust that "meantime" when the words marinate. the internet changed all of our lives: library at your fingertips.