Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/1/08

Oops!

Research is necessary for even the simplest of stories, or else one ends up with an "Oops!," as I did. I was illustrating the story of a tiny little Salt Marsh Harvest Mouse who was looking for a home, when I came upon a few characters that I knew nothing about. One was a white-tailed kite. I looked it up on-line, bought a National Geographic bird book, went to the library, and never realized that birds of prey attack with their feet (Duh!). Pretty obvious stuff here, but not to me. So when I turned in my illustration, the editor kindly returned it and asked me to do it right. I was, and still am embarrassed about that gaff. But it did teach me a good lesson - when you think you're done researching, do some more. I'm sure there are more mistakes to come, but at least I will make more educated ones this time! Happy writing - and illustrating!!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

The best learned lessons are learned from mistakes-- there is no doubt about that. And as a fellow illustrator, I know that pictures can tell a thousand words and you want to make sure they are the right ones!

Stephanie said...

Funny! Probably helps to have a biologist involved:) That's the good thing though, we can go back and fix what we need to.

Edie Hemingway said...

Great example, Diane! At least you found out about your mistake before it was published.

betsy woods said...

This experience reminds me of one I've experienced time and again. When writing a novel or short story, I have read the story between the words, the story unfolding in my mind. When I catch a detail that I literally read into the narrative, but have failed to write into the narrative, it astounds me how complex and dynamic the creative process is.

Mark said...

A great story to remind us the importance of research and how sometimes what seems obvious is in fact otherwise...