Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/17/13

Better Late Than Never

I may be a little slow at the starting gate this year to post my writing-related resolutions for 2013, but that's because I've been busy writing.  2012 was a tough year for me--chock full of family issues and loss.  I admit I did not move forward with my novel.  In fact, I went months without even touching my manuscript.  But, sometime last October I received an email from Audrey Couloumbis, who had recently moved to our MD/DE/WV SCBWI region and was looking for a writer's group.  I wrote back and asked, "Are you THE Audrey Couloumbis who wrote the Newbery Honor book Getting Near to Baby?"  Her humble answer was, "Only in SCBWI would I have name recognition."  Well, to make a long story short, Audrey and two other close writing friends of mine, Lois Szymanski and Sue Poduska, and I have formed a critique group--precisely what I needed to boost my writing spirit, make me accountable, and give me deadlines.


Here's a picture of me, working away in my writing cabin while trying to keep my hands warm on a recent cold day.  At a quick glance, it looks as if I've grown fur on my hands or have become part werewolf in my passion to get back to writing.

By the way, Audrey Couloumbis has a brand new YA out, Not Exactly A Love Story (Random House), if you're looking for a good read!



5 comments:

Lauren said...

Edie! There is nothing like the motivation of other writers to boost one's energy! Bravo for putting together a group to keep you going. I love the furry hands- and I love to read that you are writing in your little house. Yay!

Stephanie said...

Your new critique group sounds wonderful!

Christy said...

Those furry gloves crack me up! The writing beast is in her writing den.

Wow, your new critique group sounds like exactly what you needed. It makes all the difference when you respect and trust your other members. I am glad because I can't wait to read the next novel!

mark said...

Edie, you need some heat in your writing cabin (though I do love your furry fingerless mittens)! Like others, I think your new critique group will help you reach even greater success this year!

Edie Hemingway said...

Mark, I do actually have baseboard heat in my little cabin, but I tend to try to save on electricity when I'm not out there, so it takes a while to heat it up--especially this week when it's been in the teens in Maryland. I don't even want to think about how cold it's been for our Minnesota spuds!

Thank you all for your comments about my furry gloves. I am donning them now to head back to the cabin.