Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/19/12

Filling the Well....

This round of posts is about how to fill our creative well when it seems to have run dry. Honestly, I always have ideas. They come from everywhere, from books or the internet or the evening news. I'm always hearing things that strike me as something interesting that needs further investigation. But sometimes my droughts occur in the middle of a project. I've started with a great idea and I know where I'm going. But you still have to come up with stuff for Chapter Thirteen or Fourteen that might not be totally covered in the very detailed synopsis. Which means I do have to try and fill the well midstream. Not an easy thing to do. Ever. So what do I do?
Well, I take a break and read. Sometimes being able to see how another author filled the gap between two parts will give me an idea of how I can do it, too.
I've been running a lot this winter. Luckily, the weather has been insanely mild and, except for a handful of days on the treadmill at the gym, I've been able to use the high school track nearly every day. I walk a half mile there, run my laps, then walk home. And there's something about the fresh air that helps me think, because I've done a lot of well-filling at the track the past few months.
Another thing that helped me this winter was all the Skypes I've done with middle schools. They have all been Q and A's about The Compound. And it's amazing how someone's questions can spur the mind and open new doors I never thought were there, especially since my current project is the sequel to The Compound. I realize it's a gift to be able to interact directly with my core audience.
Whatever helps to keep that well from running dry...

7 comments:

David LaRochelle said...

Good suggestions, Stephanie. I especially like the idea about studying other authors. I know that I've learned a lot from studying other artists when I'm working on an illustrating project. I get ides about how to fill in the background, how to use color, etc.

Lauren said...

I completely agree with you Stephanie-- initial ideas are no problem for me-- it is midway through that I often have to pause, step-back and look the other way- reading, looking at other artists, walks, yep! And staying in touch with your audience would be a very good idea when writing a sequel. Can't wait!

Edie Hemingway said...

It's so nice that you can stay in touch with your primary audience through skype visits! And I know what you mean about those transitional areas--sometimes very difficult to fill in, even when you have a fairly detailed outline or synopsis.

john said...

I, too, like your advice of stepping back and reading while working on the transitional parts of a story. That can sometimes be hard to do. And I like the image of you running around the track and coming up with story ideas.

Christy said...

Stephanie, I have this same experience when swimming laps. The repetitive rhythm of movement allows my mind to wander freely. It's a relaxed state, which must help those brain synapses! In fact, I just heard a radio interview today about a book I now want to find, called IMAGINE: HOW CREATIVITY WORKS. The author was discussing the benefits of taking a break and doing something physical when you're stuck.

Social interaction was also part of the discussion in this radio interview. I guess Steve Jobs purposely designed Pixar to only have a central bathroom, so everyone who works there-techies, animators, editors would all have to come into contact with each other since everyone has to use the same facilities. He thought this kind of interaction was essential to creativity.

Stephanie said...

I love that one central bathroom, who would think of that? Well, Steve Jobs, obviously...And yes, I'm a fan of mindless activity because it gives my mind a chance to wander. Bejeweled does the same thing, I find...

betsy woods said...

Wonderful post, Stephanie. Dorethea Brande suggested to writers that rhythmic physical action, from running to scrubbing a tub, lets the creative go to work. It seems to sort of jump-start the process. Think I'm going for a long, long, walk this afternoon!