Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/8/12

Valentine Books

The last book that I illustrated was The Bookstore Valentine in 2002, an Easy Reader by Barbara Maitland. It was the third book in her series. The previous illustrator, Nadine Bernard Westcott, chose not to illustrate this volume. I was asked to continue with Nadine's style and make the reoccurring characters look the same. It was a challenge, and could have been a bruise to my pride, having to illustrate in the manner of someone else, but it proved to be a wonderful learning experience. Trying to decipher Nadine's palette and studying her use of shadows, color, texture, and background, taught me an enormous amount. I was pushed into trying new things that I would have never tried on my own. Ten years later, as I am finally illustrating one of my own books, I am using so much of what I learned from "copying" Nadine's style, tailoring it to fit my own way of illustrating.

And speaking of Valentine books, my all time favorite book for this holiday (and a favorite ANY time of the year) is Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch, by Eileen Spinelli, illustrated by Paul Yalowitz. Lonely, dull Mr. Hatch spends every day doing the exact same thing, until one February when he receives a heart-shaped box of candy in the mail with the mysterious note, "Somebody loves you!" His outlook on life begins to change as he contemplates who might have sent him this package. He starts smiling, saying hello to his neighbors, and lending a hand to folks in need. He becomes a new man...until the postman returns and sheepishly tells him that the delivery was a mistake, and the candy - and note - were meant for someone else. Of course it ends happily, but go read the book for yourself to find out the details. Or better yet, buy a copy and send it to somebody you love.

8 comments:

Christy said...

David, I admire Nadine Westcott's work, and I haven't thought about her for many years. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to see if I can find your book. I can imagine that it's a great learning experience to study someone else's style so closely. I can't wait to see your new book that you are illustrating.

I also love Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch, which I designed when I was art directing for Bradbury Press. Small world. Notice how the palette changes when he thinks he is loved?

Lauren said...

I am not familiar with Nadine Westcott's work, but what an amazing apprenticeship of sorts! Whenever I work with kids in schools, I encourage copying as inspiration to find one's own voice-- this is a great story of how it works! I will look for this book, David- so inspiring!

And Christy, your skills and design magic keep surprising me with every post! Small world indeed. I remember this book when it came out-- now I must find it and spend more time with it. Thanks to both of you!

David LaRochelle said...

Congratulations Christy on designing one of my all time favorite books. This book is sweet and touching and beautiful, without being overly sentimental. The change in palette is a brilliant, subtle touch. How proud you must be to have had a hand in designing so many wonderful books!

Mark said...

Thanks for telling us about these two titles, David. I'll definitely check them out. I'm even more intrigued now that I know Christy had a major hand in Mr Hatch!

And I love how you took what originally felt like a negative assignment and used it to enhance your own artistry. Your experience and Lauren's advice to copy for inspiration reminds me of the days when I used to type stories from my favorite authors -- an exercise I read about other authors doing during their apprenticeships -- just so I could get a "feel" for what good writing was all about.

David LaRochelle said...

I think typing other authors' stories is an excellent idea, Mark. Before writing The Best Pet of All, I read stacks of Easy Reader books which got me in the right frame of mind to write the short sentences, simple language, brisk plot that is associated with this genre, even though Best Pet turned out to be a picture book rather than an Easy Reader.

Mark said...

And what a picture book it turned out to be!!! I think I've already mentioned this in the comments before, but honestly The Best Pet of All remains one of our favorite picture books of all time. The dragon's various antics tickle my funny bone every time we dig it out of my son's bookcase and give it another read. It's one of your books, along with The End, that continues to inspire me in my own writing endeavors.... Keep up the great work, my friend!!!

Stephanie said...

Mark, what a great idea, typing other writer's things. And David, your illustrations are so cool. And Christy, you are everywhere;)

betsy woods said...

I am grateful to be in such a talented gathering of potatoes. . . Blessed really. Thank you all.