Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/16/12

I Love This Book

STUPID FAST is crazy good. Minnesota author Geoff Herbach has written a moving, beautiful story. The characters, the action, the Wisconsin setting of Bluffton all ring true, but what really shines is the incredible voice of the narrator, Felton Reinstein.

Felton is funny, engaging, and alternately clueless and perceptive, sometimes at the same time. In other words, he's a high school boy. I'm not going to give any of the plot away since the book is so good, but there's a wonderful love story between one of my favorite couples in YA literature.

STUPID FAST was selected as the best YA book of the year in the Cybil Awards and I can see why.

I just finished an ARC of NOTHING SPECIAL, the next Felton book, and that is something special, too. Enjoy meeting Felton Reinstein. You won't forget him.

4 comments:

Christy said...

John, I love your description of the main character--"alternately clueless and perceptive". Sounds like most high school kids; he's sure to have great appeal. I will look for this.

Edie Hemingway said...

John, thanks for this recommendation of another great read. I'm looking forward to it!

David LaRochelle said...

I'm going to reserve this right now, John. You've spoken highly of this book before, and I'm glad your post reminded me of how much you enjoyed it.

Mark said...

Thanks, John!