Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/26/11

The Persistance of a Writer

The will of the way of writing is sitting down, being, writing against the hard waves,--learning, becoming better, teaching what you learn, learning better, writing story, being blessed, teaching what you learn, learning better . . .

The goal is the walk. I offer myself this lesson, well, again and again. Still the word and the story show up. I'm juggling life and the cost of houses and college educations. This puts a pressure that is not conducive to creativity. Instead, it says go, work, give--somewhere in that space I still write. I see the moon and I walk the lake with my dog and watch it turn silver, watch pelicans dip their beaks into that silver lake, sipping a silvery fish. It slows me down, my dog swims, I sit on the levee and feel grateful. It returns me to myself and I shed my skin.

6 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Betsy,
If your goal is the "walk" of writing, you have just delivered poetry. I felt myself calming as I read your words about the silver lake. Thank you!

Stephanie said...

Your words are so lovely...

Lauren said...

This reads like a poem Betsy- so lovely, to echo Stephanie. I was with you on that walk.

Christy said...

I think I should get a dog (especially if it will help me write beautiful bits like yours). Seems like that dog walk forces you into the moment and lets you commune with the natural world. The rhythm of movement makes it a reflective time.

Diane Adams said...

Besty,
what a beautiful post. Poetry in motion.

David LaRochelle said...

Thank you for the reminder that the goal is the walk, not the destination, Betsy. I, too, need that reminder over and over again - and I'll keep it mind today as I tackle the tasks on my to-do list...and try to enjoy the process.