Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/13/11

My Summer Vacation


For me, summers tend to be the busiest time of year, filled mostly with sailing adventures and interacting with our son while he is home on summer vacation. We did a lot of both this year, along with moving into a new home in August. It was fun, and also a bit hectic at times.

One of the highlights was encountering a pod of whales while we were sailing Rosario Strait in the San Juan Islands. Other highlights included a "battle cruise" on the Lady Washington, and discovering a new flavor (lemon meringue pie) at the Friday Harbor Ice Cream Company!

I tend to take summers off from writing projects, to recharge my batteries, but I still managed to do a lot of reading, thinking, and note-writing. Now that school is back in session and the weather is starting to turn cooler, I am ready to resume my usual daily writing schedule. I have a few projects I hope to complete this fall, and I’m excited to see what happens!

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Mark, what a lovely summer! You are living in one of my most favorite places in the world and to see a pod of whales while sailing sounds like heaven! It sounds as if your summer has indeed filled your well-- I look forward to hearing more about your upcoming projects!

Christy said...

Such a balanced life! You have transported me to the NW with your photo and talk of ice cream in Friday Harbor. I used to visit dear friends on Friday Harbor. The San Juans are beautiful. Fall's a good time to settle back in to a schedule. Happy writing, Mark.

Edie Hemingway said...

Mark,
It seems to me you live a writer's dream life! Thanks for sharing the photo of the pod of whales and happy writing to you...

Diane Adams said...

Mark, I always love to look at the photos you take while you're out on the sea. Just beautiful.

David LaRochelle said...

How exotic your descriptions of sailing sound to this land-locked Minnesotan! And you've made my mouth water for that Lemon Pie ice cream!