Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/8/10

Studio Time, Connected Time

I just had coffee with a friend this morning ~ an artist, and she said she was just realizing that she isn't the lonely isolated person she has always thought of herself as being, but actually an artist who prefers to be alone. It was a life-transforming revelation. The day before, I had an email conversation with a friend who announced she was "turning off the noise, inspired by an interview with Jonathan Franzen she made a decision to turn off her internet for most of the day so she could really sink into her writing.

It is interesting to me how the solitude of the studio is so easily connected to the rest of the world. I could spend the day reading all of my friend's blogs and commenting on them, then following my other friends on Facebook; then emailing more friends, without ever leaving the "solitude" of my studio. I DO have to make conscious decisions to turn off the internet. I have a calendar on which I write down coffee dates with friends, perhaps it is time to write down times for dates with the internet? I do notice the difference, turning off the noise. Concentrated, focused, and rich. It is the best. It is music! Yes, I love solitude in my studio. I have spent most of my life balancing family, friends, and business with time in the studio. Now I have to balance within the studio- noise or music?

6 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Interesting thought that "solitude" is not truly solitude these days until the internet is shut off. Thanks, Lauren! It looks as if more and more of us will be turning off the "noise."

Christy said...

Lauren, just finished Franzen's FREEDOM. Have you read his book of essays HOW TO BE ALONE? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Be_Alone (I resisted putting in an Amazon link). Though I certainly love music, I find that I want silence in my studio. I think Franzen is on to something in that Oprah interview when he claims that in that silence he can "start to figure out what the real deep conflicts of myself are." The noise prevents us from going deep.

Lauren said...

I totally agree, Christy-- the noise does prevent us from going deep and sometimes we want it that way and sometimes it is time to turn off that noise!

john said...

Lauren, I love watching how you make these decisions on balance on an ongoing basis and as your children change and grow. One of the joys of self-employment is that we get to keep making these decisions as things change.

Stephanie said...

I know I get so much more done when I am off the internet.And it's almost a relief when I give myself permission to not check my email or Facebook once in a while.

David LaRochelle said...

I have to work hard to stay away from the internet..and it is almost always worth it. Even if I "only check my email" before sitting down to work, it affects my spirit, and not usually in a way that is good for my creativity. On the days when I keep my computer turned off all day, there is a lovely peace that settles around my apartment.