Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/22/10

Holiday Traditions


I love the holiday season -- stringing lights and decorations, listening to seasonal music, inhaling the warm smell of cookies and pies baking in the oven, snuggling under a comforter to watch old holiday movies, even shopping!! Until I entered an early "retirement" a couple years ago and became a full-time stay-at-home dad, I worked with kids at a middle school and so I was able to also enjoy the yearly rite of a two-week Christmas vacation -- definitely a way to keep the "kid" inside me excited about the holiday season!

Like others, we have some traditions involving ornaments and tree-cutting and opening one present on Christmas Eve, but the "tradition" I most cherish is our private designation of our home as a "drama-free" zone during the holidays. As many know, the holidays can be stressful and, unfortunately, that stress can many times result in familial discord. It's nice to know that no matter what happens when we visit others during the holidays, our own home remains a haven for the holiday spirit of peace and joy and goodwill toward all. What more could you want, or wish for others?

I truly hope everyone who reads this can find peace and joy this holiday season, and beyond. If you need a little emotional pick-me-up, just find a child to share some time with -- their sense of wonder and instinctive joy during this season should be a good antidote to any potential holiday blues.





7 comments:

Lauren said...

Wonderful photo Mark! I share your love of Christmas and all it offers- the music, the smells, the lights and decorations. I love the idea of keeping one's home "drama-free" during the holidays. My daughter just arrived home from college and it is time to let the holidays begin!

Edie Hemingway said...

What a great idea to have a drama-free zone for the holidays, Mark! Your son looks like the perfect Christmas sprite. Enjoy every minute!

Christy said...

There must be some secrets to maintaining a drama-free zone. Please share! Yes, home should be that place of ease and rest. Glad you all have claimed it.

Stephanie said...

Love the photo! I am picturing you all on Whidbey. Very envious, that is my dream location:)

john said...

Mark, I love that picture. So much excitement and joy.
My time as a dad at home was some of the best work I've done and provides you with a wealth of story ideas.
Have a great holiday.

David LaRochelle said...

One of the things that I miss about being a teacher is the excitement that the children have about Christmas...and every holiday, whether it's Valentine's Day or Groundhog's Day. Maybe I should take your advice, Mark, and go find some kids to infuse me with the holiday spirit...although I'm a little late, now!

Prof. Watermelon said...

Love this post, Mark! And glad to finally see a picture of the kiddo! I've heard so much about him! Take care!