Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/7/10

If I weren't a writer...

If I weren’t a writer, I would be a horticulturalist or historian or geologist or stonemason or teacher or quilter or harpsichordist or… The trouble with me is that I have too many interests and am constantly pulled in numerous directions. For six years I worked in a high school guidance office as the Career & College Advisor. I think I was more interested than the students in all the different opportunities out there. I hosted countless college reps and was intrigued by the variety of majors offered—a much greater variety than was available when I went off to college forty years ago.

Historic Preservation was a “new” major that particularly drew me. I guess you could say my husband and I are constantly involved in the historic preservation of our 1930s log cabin home. And right now I am obsessed with horticulture—the cultivating and planting of my perennial and herb gardens and numerous container gardens, as well as protecting them from the growing deer population. I also manage to fit in teaching my writing workshops and learning to play a new musical instrument—the newest will be a hammer dulcimer this summer. Writing is one of those careers that allows (even encourages) diversions, so I consider myself a very lucky person.

P.S. Of course the need for an income does have to be considered, but you can probably tell that’s not my #1 priority.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Ah, yes, I can see the appeal in each and every one of the items on your list, especially after visiting your amazing log cabin.

Fellow spuds, I had the treat of listening to Edie play mountain dulcimer in that cabin, then later listening to her mother play harpsichord at her nearby home. Have fun with the hammer dulcimer--such a beautiful sound.

Happy problems--life is rich with so much to learn and do. You can research and dabble at these all, then write them into your next masterpiece (book or screenplay).

David LaRochelle said...

I wish I could have been there to have heard you and your mother playing your musical instruments, Edie. And you're right, writing allows - even encourages - dabbling in lots of different areas.

Edie Hemingway said...

Thank you, both! Sometime I hope to host all of my fellow spuds at my cabin.

Mark said...

I'll bet your various and varied interests can only help your creativity. Thanks for sharing another glimpse into your world, Edie.

Lauren said...

Edie, I completely relate to too many interests! Actually, I suppose it isn't really too many, but if I were a career & college advisor, I think I would go crazy with all of the possibilities before me-- even though they were meant for the graduating students! I love hearing about your hammer dulcimer and music and garden and log cabin-- my husband plays the hammer dulcimer and it is a beautiful instrument. What a rich life you have!

Edie Hemingway said...

Oh, another hammer dulcimer player. Does he play for you often, Lauren? I can't wait to learn.

Lauren said...

He is a composer, so he is always playing/composing in his studio- not always the hammer dulcimer. I wish it were more often. When our kids were younger, we used to play a lot more music together, now they are so busy with things in their older adolescent lives that there is no time. But everything keeps changing-- I am certain music along with hammer dulcimer will return.