Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/5/10

How things have changed...




When my first picture book came out in 1998, we had just gotten email at our house in rural Minnesota. I remember getting emails with the first reviews of Elizabeti's Doll. They were cut and pasted into the body of the email, and I printed them out, stuffed them in envelopes, and headed to the post office to mail them off, because almost none of my friends or relatives had email yet.
Things have changed since 1998.


Today I just got news of a fun review for my latest picture book, A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose. Lisa at Little Brown sent me the link for the San Francisco and Sacramento Book Reviews.
I then posted that link at my blog http://latteya.livejournal.com and over at Facebook. Within two minutes, I had sent the review to potentially thousands of people. Wow. How times have changed. And just for fun, a survey of fellow writers: When was the last time you bought a stamp to mail something publishing-related?






5 comments:

Lauren said...

Congratulations on A Small Brown Dog with a Wet Pink Nose!
It is fun to remember back a decade or so ago to how things were communicated between publisher and author/illustrator-- times have changed!! As far as the stamp goes, I am going to the post office today to mail four signed contracts to my publisher!

Stephanie said...

Those are the only things I mail anymore:)

David LaRochelle said...

What a great review, Stephanie. Congratulations!

I agree, times have changed. I recently sent by "traditional" mail a book dummy to a couple of prospective editors, but the manuscript I am currently revising is being done entirely through email exchanges.

Edie Hemingway said...

Congratulations on a great review, Stephanie! I agree that most correspondence in the publishing world now seems to be done online, but I actually snail mailed invitations to my book launch party last fall and made the invitations and stamps (online) using the cover art from my book.

Lauren said...

You made stamps online Edie? I would love the link!