Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/18/09

light in the dark



Tonight is one of my favorites of the holiday season. We will go to our friend Kirsten and Drew's for the annual lighting of candles on their Christmas tree. Yes, they use real candles, and because they are real candles we all must sit around and watch them burn down. After a nice meal and homemade eggnog, the quiet of sitting and watching these beautiful lights is soothing.

At a time of the year when so many animals are slowing down, we are encouraged to speed up in a mad rush to finish end of the year activities and prepare for the holidays. I want to slow down now and reflect about this year and the one to come.

On Monday evening we will have another favorite activity when we go to Hidden Falls down by the Mississippi River for our annual solstice fire. People will bring wood for a fire, beverages to share, musical instruments, and paper to write down things they would like to let go of as well as hopes for the new year. These papers will be placed in the fire that will light up the darkest night of the year. We've got plenty of snow here now, but it is always warm around this fire. You are welcome to join us.

9 comments:

betsy woods said...

Thank you. . .

David LaRochelle said...

You are right, John, this is a good time of the year to slow down and reflect. I hope your evening with your friends tonight was filled with much light and laughter.

Lauren said...

Fire and ice, dark and light, I love the contrasts. I too prefer to honor the bear in me and slow down this time of year. I hope your evening was wonderful tonight-- it sounds magical!

Edie Hemingway said...

Two very lovely and meaningful rituals, John! Thanks for sharing these. And I've always wondered how people managed to place actual burning candles on their trees. Must be a beautiful sight--definitely one to sit and watch.

Christy said...

I too have a friend who has real candles on his tree. It is a marvel to watch the candles and not the tree burn, though I confess, it makes me nervous. This and the other tradition you mention are so sweet and powerful. I wonder how I can introduce these things to my rather cynical family?

Mark said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I really like burning papers with things you want to let go... Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephanie said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate:)

Diane Adams said...

I feel that with the almost constant warm weather here in Southern CA, we don't appreciate what winter has to offer. What wonderful memories you are making with your traditions.