Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/4/09

Best Advice

An author I respect once told me to spend more time writing and less time interacting with my friends. She said that it worked for her, and it could work for me. So I tried it, and I hated it. I was lonely and the ideas stopped flowing.

Then I read an article by a total stranger that said, "Live. Go out into the world and have experiences. This is the best way to write." So I tried this, and I loved it. It allowed me to set aside my guilt when I chose to go to Taco Tuesday with my friends, instead of sitting at the computer. As a matter of fact, the idea for my latest book came from a conversation with a friend when we were out shopping.

Of course, if I hadn't sat down and focused once I returned home, there would have been no story. I guess I'm trying to say that there's a balance that's just right for each one of us, and if we will allow ourselves to find it, the creative process becomes so much more of a joy than a grind.

5 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Diane,
Good advice! I'm still looking for the creative process that works best for me.

Mark said...

Great advice. Finding a balance between work and play seems to be a neverending challenge....

Christy said...

I couldn't agree more! It's easy to feel isolated working at home. I need my alone time to develop ideas, but it's often those times I'm out in circulation when the initial ideas are stimulated. Like Edie, I'm still trying to find the creative process that works best for me too.

Stephanie said...

That was really good advice:)

David LaRochelle said...

An author friend told me that we need time to "refill our creative wells." For me, that means giving myself the time to read, go to theater, interact with other creative people. I need the reminder that this isn't necessarily being lazy, but it's part of filling the well - and part of enjoying life!