Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/14/09

Turning the Clock

March 4, 2009 we turned the clocks ahead. We finished our evening meal without
consuming a single watt, and lingered, relishing our newly “saved” hour as dessert.
Next door a ball bounced. Since childhood this day has marked the beginning of
playtime after supper—rolling down grassy hills and games of tag in bonus light.
“Not it!”

Hypnotized by the ball’s rhythm and golden light, I turn back
my clock and am four again. A picky eater, I hide unwanted
sandwiches behind the stove or in the closet with regularity.
Once I refuse to eat the Chow Mein Mom dishes up from the can.
I fear the oozing brown sauce and unnamed chunks that swim
in the noodles. I make a face. I pout. No amount of sitting at
the table will get me to change my mind.

Big brother Dave is excused. It is summer and he runs outside
to rejoin the game we left off earlier. I am sent to my room. No dessert tonight, but
worse, no play. I plead, but am banished to bed. I am not sleepy! Laughter and excited
screams reach and tag me, “You’re IT!” The sounds retreat. Alone, I cannot tag back.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Christy,
Wow. This is such a great glimpse inside the mind of a child. Lovely vignette.

David LaRochelle said...

As a fellow childhood picky eater, I can certainly relate to your memory! I love the detail of hiding unwanted sandwiches behind the stove! It made me wonder what happened when they were finally discovered! Oh how nice it is to be an adult and not to have anyone forcing us to eat unsavory foods!

Edie Hemingway said...

Christy,
Delightful vignette and definitely one I can identify with! I once stuffed brussels sprouts in my cheeks, not wanting to swallow them. My mother discovered them several hours later when she thought I was coming down with the mumps!

Christy said...

Edie, that's hysterical! Brussel sprout mumps... it's a picture book waiting to be written.

I only liked five vegetables when I was little, and only two were green, though not sure iceberg lettuce counts, and corn, carrots and beets are all just forms of sugar pretending to be vegetables. My fifth one was artichokes--very interactive.

Edie Hemingway said...

Ha! Never thought of that as a picture book, Christy!

betsy woods said...

Christy,
I think I lived the same life. Thank you for the pure stream of memory.

Lauren said...

Christy, I am so sad that you were sent to your room! I remember those times and the agony of hearing the laughter and games going on outside. It makes me stressed just thinking about it! What was it about those times when our parents made us eat the most dreadful foods--!