Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/29/09

Honest Advice from a Teacher and Friend


Over ten years ago I signed up for a writing class led by the prolific children's author Judy Delton. I was working on a story for children and thought the class would give me the encouragement to finish it.

As I read the first chapter in class, I kept thinking about the praise that Judy would give me and how fired up I would be to keep writing my Newbery-winning novel. How could she not like this story? It incorporated bullying, latchkey children, gun control, divorce, and anger management, all wrapped up around a central theme of realistic fantasy.

When I was done, Judy took off her brightly colored glasses, looked me in the eye, and said, "David, that was so...boring. It had absolutely no sparkle. Did you notice that the rest of the students were watching the clock, hoping it was time to leave?"

I did not go home and finish the novel.

However, I did not quit, either. After all, I had paid for this class and I was going to get my money's worth of critique from this woman, even if she didn't know what she was talking about. A few weeks later I brought along a light, fluffy piece of writing I had done and summoned up the courage to read that.

When I was done reading, Judy took off her glasses again, looked at the rest of the students, and said, "Isn't it a shame about David. What he wants to write is Great Literature, but what he's good at writing is funny stories like this."

And Judy was right. I did want to write Great Literature. And my idea of Great Literature was deadly serious writing that tackled as many social issues as possible. Judy taught me that there is nothing wrong with writing humor, and that it is no less worthy than serious drama.

In Christy's blog she cited Amy Novesky's advice to write the story you want. I think that's great advice. But it was also good for me to hear honest reaction to my writing, and to be told that something was not working. Without Judy's blunt critique, I might still be stumbling my way through that dreary novel that no one would ever want to read. Instead, I tackled a serious topic in my first novel, but did so with the light, humorous touch that feels natural to me.

Be true to your own writing voice, and not the voice that you think you should be using. That was Judy's message.

Thanks, Judy, for helping me find my voice.

6 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

David,
There is nothing better than a naturally funny story! Thanks for reminding us.

Christy said...

David, I love your honesty about the forthcoming praise you imagined as you read your work to the class (a familiar fantasy). Judy's bluntness perhaps initially a little uncomfortable, ultimately was exactly what was needed. Last summer I read several works-in-progress to an editor-friend. She didn't hold back when she thought something didn't work. It was a gift to have someone I respect speak her mind so clearly. I didn't feel personally slighted, but it did spur me on to want to do improve the works. Seems like Judy had that effect on you.

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

David, that is great advice for all of us. And I love the story you tell. She sounds like a terrific teacher,

betsy woods said...

Dear David,
I may have to take that advice myself. It is good to have a mirror for your words. You were blessed by her honest assessment.

Mark said...

David, sounds like you got some great feedback/advice that positively influenced your career. Like a good teacher yourself, you've passed it on to others. Thanks.