Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/24/09

Fathers and Waters

A significant early memory of mine is going to Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis. My dad loved that park and I can remember that after a big rain he would say, "There's probably a lot of water coming over the falls now." We would make regular trips there to see it and the more water coming over the falls, the better.

I also have an early memory of being carried by my father at night on the way home from a friend's house. My dad was six feet four inches tall and weighed about two hundred and sixty pounds, so when I was little he seemed huge. I remember the cool night air and snuggling in close to the roughness of his cheek.

I've written books about fathers and I've written about water. It's not a mystery to me where that source is.

3 comments:

Christy said...

John,
This image glows on the page and is positively glorious! I like the linking of these two powerful sources in your writing.

Stephanie said...

Oh wow. I love the visual of your dad carrying you. And the picture is beautiful.

Edie Hemingway said...

John,
I love waterfalls, too, and the more water over the falls the better! Sounds as if you had a wonderful and lasting connection to your father and are passing it on to your readers.