Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/14/09

From the Young

One of my main sources of inspiration is being with students. They tell me what they like, what they are interested in, and what things they would like to see in books. Being around students also grounds my characters in specific details and language.

On my new book, Top of the Order, I gave the manuscript to two classes of fifth graders and asked them to make suggestions. Over two hundred changes were made based on their input, and the book is a better book because of their recommendations.

Another place I look for inspiration is the library. Yes, sometimes inspiration comes from books I find there, but it also comes from books I do not find there. I think about what books I would have enjoyed as a boy and what is missing from the library. There is always a gap between the genuine interests of young readers and the books that they find. Narrowing that gap is one of my goals as an author, and spending time with youngsters continues to be a source of ongoing inspiration.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your comment about what you don't find in a library. It's so true. I wonder what different person I would be if our little library had not been stocked with mainly old books. I'm glad it was, but still. Now, I rarely browse in the library. I browse online, then got to my library network and order what I want to read.

Edie Hemingway said...

John,
You are practicing what all of us who write for children should be doing! And how great to have two fifth grade classes read your manuscript and give you feedback.

Lauren said...

I have so admired the way you *use* your audience for wisdom and feedback, John. I also like the idea of what is "missing" from the library-- what you would like to find there. I had not thought of it that way. Thanks!

betsy woods said...

John, Plain wise to be with your audience and discover what they like. "The gap" between "genuine" interests and what books are available speaks of your success.

Christy said...

When I first started working in publishing, it amazed me how few of my colleagues had children. We all had childhoods, but not the daily contact of reading to kids and seeing what captured their attention. Some of the books I sent off to my godson, bored him silly. Once I had my own child I developed new appreciation for books I'd previously disregarded. Long way of saying that you, John, are going right to the heart of where you should be. Nothing could make better sense.