Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/29/09

Coming in September!



I think one of the most exciting days for a picture book author is when the illustrations show up in the mail. My shortest wait has been about a year and a half, while this has been my longest. My story A Small Brown Dog With a Wet Pink Nose sold to Little, Brown Books for Young Readers back in 2004. Due to some glitches, like everything that could go wrong did, one illustrator was let go and the final one, Linzie Hunter, finally hired about 18 months ago. (To be honest, it was starting to look like this book was never going to happen.)


So, when my editor emailed to say she was sending the F and G's ( basically the unbound pages of the book), I couldn't wait.




But, in the end, the looooong wait was so worth it. I love Linzie's art and the story and, more importantly, I think young readers will love it.

From the jacket:

Amelia wants a dog, needs a dog, and believes she simply cannot live without a small brown dog with a wet pink nose. Her parents think she can. Rather than begging or pleading, Amelia adopts an imaginary dog. But when Amelia's make-believe pup runs away, her parents are in for a real surprise.

Another fun thing, the end pages incorporate photos of real dogs, and both my labs, Pua and Leilani, made the cut.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Adorable art; catchy cover (like my alliteration?) The flap copy is great, makes me very eager to read this story.

john said...

Stephanie, Congratulations on the new book. It looks like it should be linked with David's Best Pet of All on some of those Readers who liked this might also like this lists. How fun to celebrate.
One sentence in your post stood out and I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that multicultural and special needs are not mainstream. As we know, that main part of the stream has gotten much wider.

Stephanie said...

Nice alliteration Christy. And John, yes, point taken. I just meant that my other picture books have that label on them: "multicultural", or "special needs", so this will be my first that doesn't have a label on it. Personally, I don't think any of them should have labels.

Edie Hemingway said...

Stephanie, congratulations on your latest accomplishment! You have such diverse writing talents--all the way from picture books to YA.

Lauren said...

I look forward to seeing your book on my book shelf!