Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/17/08

My Kitchen Counter


When I first met my husband in Manhatten we were invited to dinner at his cousin's apartment. She was a chef at the Union Square Cafe, a hotspot in the restaurant world of the mid-80s. We sat in her kitchen as she prepared our spontaneous gourmet meal. I say spontaneous because she surrounded herself with all of the ingredients and intuitively chopped and sauteed, stirred and whisked the dinner together before our very eyes. She used her fingers and hands for measuring and mixing. It was a very sensuous affair, all the time tweaking with a little bit of color-- by this I mean adding more herbs, more spices, more butter, or whatever made itself known to her. There were no recipes, only her imagination and her wits. As artists, both my husband and I remarked how it felt like painting-- being present at the canvas, noticing where a bit more naples yellow is needed or a little less cadmium red light, and relying on imagination, wits, and experience.

I have no doubt that the chef's process of working intuitively through an experience of trial and error is very much like the process I go through in my studio. I prefer not to have clear sketches and color studies in front of me like a recipe. I prefer to see what happens on the page, allowing the colors to settle and stand out as if speaking to me. Luckily I have worked with the same editor who has faith that the tiny chicken scratches I send her will turn into something beautiful and bold. When I was working on "Our Family Tree" after showing the small sketchy book dummy to her new assistant, the assistant asked "Why did you choose this artist for this book?" My editor replied, "Patience. Just wait and see." 

My palette, like the countertop in the kitchen gives me plenty of preparation space for mixing the colors and laying out the right brushes, flow enhancers, and spatulas. The author's story or my own is completely committed to memory and the words float like a mantra through my head-- perhaps like the name of a recipe. "Chicken soup, chicken soup", may run through the mind of a chef, while the ingredients make themselves known while using all of the senses. I too, use all of my senses to open to the possibilities of color and shape while holding the particular text of the spread I am working on securely in my mind. The words: "Patience. Just wait and see." also flicker through my consciousness. It is not always successful. I have been know to throw out an entire batch of illustrations and start over. No wonder it takes me a year or more to paint a book! But with imagination, wits, and experience I don my apron and begin anew. 

5 comments:

Christy said...

Lauren,
I REALLY wish I could pop into your studio and watch you, the way you and your husband watched his cousin whip up a gourmet meal. Thanks for sharing the picture of your studio with a hint at all your wonderful ingredients. There's nothing like the intuitive process of seeing what happens on the page. I'm veering away from the cooking analogy, but at times making art feels like a wrestling match, or tug-of-war--so much maneuvering and push and pull--such a work out, so exhilarating! Makes me think of a Jackson Pollock quote: When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing." I think the artist/writer is both fully present and simultaneously lost in the work.

One of my all time favorite books is THE SHAPE OF CONTENT by Ben Shahn (a series of lectures he delivered at Harvard). He talks about the painting process as the dialogue between creator and creation--the creation has a life of it's own and the creator must listen and respond.

Thanks for your inspiring post.

Mark said...

Great stuff about the intuitive nature of creativity and its similiarity to other "improvisational" endeavors. Great comments from Christy, too. I love the photo of your studio/work space -- looks like a lot of creating has happened there!!

Lauren said...

Christy,
I love reading Ben Shahn. And the dialogue is definitely part of it. My favorite is when it gets to a place where I am not longer in control, the painting itself is telling me what next-

betsy woods said...

Lauren,

Can I live in your studio? Sometimes I think all art is trust. Trust in the movement of something wholly larger through the artist. Wonderful blog, wonderful blog.

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren and everyone,
This is just getting more and more interesting all the time! I, too, wish I had been there when your husband's cousin was whipping up the gourmet meal and also wish I was a fly on the wall when you are creating your illustrations. Thank you!