Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/19/08

Carmen Bernier-Grand and Prima Ballerina Assoluta Alicia Alonso
who at a very young age got nearly blind but kept on dancing.


I'm going to call my blogs Papas Caliente (Hot Potatoes).

I write because writing is a learning experience:

Papa caliente #1. I learn to write each book. As Eloise Jarvis McGraw used to say after she finished each book: "I know how to write that book. Now I need to learn how to write the next book."

Papa cailente #2. I learn to write in English my second language. Yes, I write my books in English. If my publisher decides to have a Spanish edition, as it did with Cesar: Si, se puede! Yes, We Can!, I translate the book.

Papa caliente #3. When I am writing a biography, I immerse myself in my subject's culture. I am writing a book on nearly blind Prima Ballerina Alicia Alonso, so I went to Cuba to meet her. I interviewed her, her first husband Fernando Alonso, her second husband Pedro Simon, and her historian Miguel Cabrera. I talked to many dancers--from little dancers to principal dancers. I went to rehearsals and to the ballet every night. I talked to coreographers, costume designers,orchestra players, and danseurs who had danced with Alicia. I visited the Museum and saw Alicia's bloody slippers. Now I can write with the certantity that I know what I am saying.

Papa caliente #4. I learn to revise and revise and revise from my editor, Margery Cuyler at Marshall Cavendish who has the patience of angels.

Papa caliente #5. I learn from my writing group who are always generous with their time and smartness.

Papa caliente #6. I learn that if I'm not writing I get grouchy because I have something to say and I am not saying it.

Papa caliente #7. I learn to be funny from my writer friends on this blog.

Papa caliente #8. I learn to be young. When I'm writing I am ten!

Papa caliente #9. I learn from the books I read. They inspire me. When I can't start writing, I read poetry.

Papa caliente #10. I learn that this life is about learning. We even have to learn to die.

I write because I enjoy every learning moment.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your book about her will be amazing!!

David LaRochelle said...

What beautiful thoughts, Carmen. And what a good reminder that life is about learning, not about eventually reaching a goal where we finally know it all.

Edie Hemingway said...

Carmen, how interesting to hear about your process for researching and writing a biography!

betsy woods said...

Carmen, I admire the honor you offer the stories you write. What a wonderful lifestyle that offers the freedom to investigate and learn, well, anything. I feel like twirling now and am walking on my tiptoes (smile).