Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/20/08

Why Write? The Word. by Betsy Woods

Writers Ellie Bryant and Betsy Woods at a Writer's Conference in New Orleans

#1. I write because of the word.


#2. I write because the word is the beginning of story.


#3. I write because story tells the tale of being.


#4. I write because I breathe.


#5. I write because I am learning my own tale of being.


#6. I write because it feels fully authentic in me.


#7. I write because I believe that the Creative expresses through metaphor.


#8. Wisteria Drive is where I first learned why I write. My childhood home was on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. There was space to daydream story, buoyed by waves, applauded by cattails. I was one of seven children and always shared a room. But, at the end of the hallway there was a coat closet. I wrote inside with the help of a flashlight.

#9. Here in this remembering I found a poem: it was waiting for me to share.



#10. Water Bodies

Time floats; lilybuds lick the sway and bloom, are crucified: Humming, I
didn’t know then
the lake
that laps the shore
that nourishes
Soil; was a Breast : who whispered: you, me and You, the suckling
that lifted my home
was a book
I was invited to read.
And web: in linen, scorched my light: word.
That is all I have to say.
. . . body – that water body spoke.
said, waves roll, bring growth: you are my bride.
I said yes. And scribbled story.

6 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Betsy,
You always amaze me. How beautiful! And, I love the photo of you and Ellie!

Lauren said...

Betsy, what a clear set of reasons for writing. I love the image of you writing in the dark with a flashlight. Perhaps that is a metaphor for all of us writers.
Thank you for your lovely poem.

Stephanie said...

Lovely post, Bets.

john said...

Betsy, I loved the line "Wisteria Drive is where I learned to write." That sounds like the opening line of a novel.

Mark said...

Betsy, I love the poem you posted, especially the line "I said yes"!!

John Finch said...

Ms. Woods, your latest poem was so very creative and your use of metaphors enlightened the poem so well. I was thrilled with the use of words and the meanings of your work. I truly believe poetry will pay off in your class. Keep up the great work!!!