Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/21/08

Needing to Write by John Coy

When I was in my twenties and trying to figure out who I was and what I was going to do, I remember someone saying, "You shouldn't be a writer unless you can't live without writing every day." Maybe I take things too literally, but I knew I could live without writing every day. I had lots of interests and without that burning need to put pen to paper every day, I decided I wasn't cut out for a writing life. (And the rejection didn't sound much fun either.)

But I continued to read and to have agreements and arguments with the writers I read. When I became a dad, I returned to the world of picture books and was amazed how much the words and pictures had changed since I was a kid. What was being done with art was amazing and I was surprised by some of the text. Baseball Saved Us, a Lee and Low book, was set in the world of Japanese internment camps. There was no way this topic would have been a picture book in my youth.

As I was reading picture books, I was also surprised by a number of books. Surprised at how bad they were. How had this book been published? Could I write something better? So I took a class at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis taught by the excellent writer, Lisa Westberg Peters. She told us we were each going to write a story. I had not written a story since I was boy and didn't know what to write about.

But there is nothing like a deadline, and the week before I was to present, I wrote a story about my favorite memory of being a kid: long drives west at night in August. This was my story, Night Driving--the one I had been waiting to tell. When I read it in class, people liked it and Lisa told me, "This is something you need to take seriously."

I took her advice. I took writing seriously and still do. I write to express myself, to make sense of the world, and to provide the books I would have liked to read as a boy. I write because books provide me a ticket to places I would never go and people I would never meet. I write because I love the feeling of having written.

Now I also use a much broader definition of writing. Writing includes thinking about a story, letting my unconscious mind go to work on a character or situation. Some of this writing I do swimming  in the pool, walking by the river, or shooting hoops on the court.

Do I need to write everyday? Now I do.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I just checked out the library in my new town in Oregon. Night Driving was displayed on top of a shelf.

Lauren said...

John, I have never heard this story and I love reading it now. Especially the part about writing the books you would have loved to read when you were a boy. I love that.

john said...

Lauren and Stephanie, thank you for that. Stephanie, what is the name of your new Oregon town?

betsy woods said...

John, I'm going to buy your book today. Grateful for your words.

john said...

Betsy, thank you. I'm honored.

David LaRochelle said...

I like your broader definition of writing, John. I think it is accurate, and it makes me feel better about those days when I don't put any words to paper.

Mark said...

John, great insights about the writing process and how it doesn't always involve putting the words on paper but also involves "marinating" time.