Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

11/19/08


Collage created for my editor for her farewell party!

I have had the great fortune of working with the same editor for fourteen years. Recently there was a huge upheaval at my publisher when it was bought out by a larger company. My editor, known as the "Heart and Soul" of Children's Books was laid off in the downsizing. Needless to say it was an incredibly emotional time for all involved. She was picked up by S&S within a week and given her own imprint, but after 24 years with one publisher, the good news of a new imprint was both something to celebrate and something to dread. Change is hard.

If not for my editor and her belief in me as well as her courage to take a risk with the complete unknown that I was, I would not be a children's book illustrator, nor an author. 14 years ago she saw some slides of my sculptures and sent me a manuscript titled "Mud". I loved it! It was a poem/story about the earth and seasons changing that I could love long enough to make pictures for. My editor's faith held strong through thousands of tiny sketches and color studies. When the author asked if she could see how the pictures were coming along, my editor asked for her patience. She admitted she was too confused, but was certain all would come round. And it did! There have been many, many circumstances along the way of working together where she had every reason to throw up her arms and say "Enough!" As an artist, I can be a very needy-- especially time. I need a lot of time to make a book. But my editor has always been there, listening, understanding, encouraging, and ready for the next book! Truly, if not for her, I would not be a Potato.

5 comments:

Christy said...

You have the same editor as Marla Frazee. She dittoed your sentiments when she said "An editor's job is to believe in you." I always hear wonderful things about Allyn. An editor's belief is sunshine, rain and fertilizer--all the things the creator needs for growth. The first thing though is the seed and that is YOU!

Stephanie said...

How wonderful to have such a supportive editor through all the years:)

Lauren said...

Yes, I do have the same editor as Marla. And you are right Christy, the "seed" does come first. Perhaps a good editor is like a good gardener, one that recognizes a fertile seed and knows how to nurture it and when to leave it on its own.

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren, what a beautiful collage! I had the pleasure of hearing Allyn speak about her new imprint at last summer's SCBWI Conference in LA.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lauren,

How nice to find you here. Christy sent directions from her facebook page.

I love hearing the story behind Mud. And the collage you made for Allyn is a beautiful acknowledgment of her nurturing.

Best wishes,
Katherine Tillotson