Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

10/13/08

Introduction: Carmen T. Bernier-Grand

I was born and grew up in Puerto Rico, but I have lived with my husband, Jeremy, in Portland, Oregon since 1978. In my other life I was a mathematician and taught college math for seven years. But after my children, Guillermo and Juliana, were born I began to write for children and young adults.

I am the authors of:

Juan Bobo: Four Folktales from Puerto Rico (Harper Collins, 1994) (Spanish in the back of the book)

Poet and Politician of Puerto Rico: Don Luis Munoz Marin (Orchard Books, 1996)

In the Shade of the Nispero Tree (Orchard Books, 1997)

Who Helped Ox? (Scholastic, 1997)

Shake It, Morena (Millbrook, 2002) (Bilingual)

Cesar: Si, se puede! Yes, You Can (Marshall Cavendish, 2004) (This title has an edition in Spanish)

Frida: Viva la vida! Long Live Life! (Marshall Cavendish, 2007)

Both Cesar
and Frida won Pura Belpre Honors.

Next spring Marshall Cavendish will release Diego: Bigger Than Life, a biography in verse on the Mexican muralist Diego Rivera.



No comments: