Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/6/13

Magic Realism or Surrealism?

The highlight of my summer was the Whidbey Island MFA residency where I teach. The January residency is fun, but nothing like the August residency in which we have a Bear Plunge (Yes, in that freezing water!)






and graduation.








This year we tried something different: Afternoon classes in different topics taught by the faculty. I participated in  the magic-realistic panel. How else can I describe it?

Moderator Kathleen Alcalá began the session opening an umbrella that she held with a black-gloved hand. That way, she read a passage from Gabriel García Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Next came Bruce Holland Rogers who spoke about his magic realistic experiences as a young man, and then snoozed on the floor.



I followed his interesting talk with a power point comparing Frida Kahlo's art to Salvador Dalí's. Magic realists or surrealists? Frida said: “They thought I was a surrealist, but I wasn’t. I’ve never painted dreams. I painted my own reality.”  In contrast, Salvador Dalí said: "I am surrealism."

Nothing better than to follow a quote from Dalí with a talk about the poet who loved him so much, Federico García Lorca. Our Whidbey poet, Carolyne Wright is an expert in Lorca. And nothing better than ending the session wih her reciting: 

Verde que te quiero verde.
Verde viento. Verdes ramas.  




 
                             

7 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

I want to go to the Whidbey Island program, Carmen! It looks and sounds like heaven.

Lauren said...

Someday, somedayy I want to visit Whidbey Island. Your photos confirm my romantic notions of what it must be like. I love the violinist on the deck and the bear plunge looks so invigorating! (It is 92 degrees here today with high humidity, so the bear plunge is looking especially enticing.)

Stephanie said...

Love it:) And I miss Whidbey, haven't been there for far too long...

Diane Adams said...

Just lovely, Carmen.

David LaRochelle said...

What a beautiful place, Carmen! Did all the graduates receive walking sticks with their diplomas? An excellent idea! That would be more meaningful to me than a piece of paper. It's inspiring to hear about all the adventures others are having.

mark said...

Carmen, I'm sorry I missed the Bear Plunge! Sounds like an inspiring and exciting residency. I was out of town again this year when the residency was happening, but I know we will connect one of these times -- I live only twenty minutes away from the Captain Whidbey Inn, after all. Other spuds are welcome to stay at our home any time they can make it to Whidbey! Seriously! Book your flights, no need for hotel reservations!

Christy said...

I love seeing you as Frida. This program on Whidbey seems truly delightful.