Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

6/3/12

Busy Summer

On my day to post, my busy summer had already begun. I was in route to the Outer Banks of North Carolina where I will spend this week with all my family--both children, their spouses, and all six grandchildren. Before I left, my brother flew in from Colorado to stay with our parents, so I can be worry free this week!

This morning I am ensconced at a desk with a view of the ocean to the east (the only reason I can see right now is that the early morning sun is hidden behind a cloud) and, if I walk to the other side of the room, a view of the sound to the west. There's even a captain's watch (a small deck on the roof of the rental house), which last night offered a spectacular view of the starry night.

On Monday I start teaching an 8-week online writing workshop through McDaniel College's graduate certificate program in Writing for Children and Young Adults. My students have already been introducing themselves online, and I think I'll have an enthusiastic group to work with. I am planning to give myself the same schedule of writing my students will have, with the hope I can finish the first draft of my novel-in-progress.

And when I'm not caught up in teaching, writing, and family events/obligations, I am overseeing a 2-day SCBWI conference in July with an amazing line-up of speakers, which include award-winning authors Richard Peck, Deborah Wiles, Sally Walker, and Bobbie Pyron, illustrator Jaime Zollars, and an array of editors and agents. I'll be sure to post some photos from this amazing conference in mid-July.

To round out the summer in August, I'll be attending the huge annual SCBWI conference in Los Angeles. Diane, maybe we can meet up again this year?

Mairin, Annabel, Aria, Piper, and Gareth are clamoring for a walk to the beach, so I'll close for now. Happy summer!

11 comments:

Christy said...

Edie, I love picturing you at the openness of the ocean--such a contrast to your snug woodland cabin. I am happy to think of you being nurtured by your family in this setting, as you take a break from caring for your parents, and start a new relationship with students. You have impressive goals for these weeks of summer. Happy teaching and writing, but first happy splashing in the sea.

Edie Hemingway said...

Thank you, Christy! So far this spot at the ocean is all we hoped for and more.

Stephanie said...

Sounds like a gorgeous place to write:)

Sue Poduska said...

Glad you're having a good time at the ocean!

David LaRochelle said...

Oh, I envy you being at the Outer Banks, Edie. I had a great vacation there when I visited a friend whose husband was a National Park ranger at Cape Lookout.

I hope this summer's SCBWI conference that you are organizing is as successful as last year's; being part of that was a favorite summer memory of mine.

Best wishes with your class...and your writing. It sounds like you will be very busy, and that isn't even taking into account your family obligations.

Mark said...

The Captain's Watch sounds like a great place to find some solitude and inspiration. I have to say: hearing of all your activities and thinking of the minimal demands currently in my own life, I am awed and also inspired by the many metaphorical balls you're juggling. Good luck with it all. I can't wait till we hear more about your next novel!

john said...

Edie, that sounds like a beautiful spot. I hope you have a wonderful time by the water. I will think of you with your conference this summer. Like David, that was a highlight for me last year.

Lauren said...

Edie, the description of your vacation spot is delicious-- the Captain's Watch is where I want to live! I am very glad you are getting a break from caring for your parents-- an essential ingredient to being a good caregiver.
You do have a busy summer ahead of you! I wish I were coming to the SCBWI conference again-- I had such a great time last year presenting! I hope you find time in your writing house-- so beautiful in the summer.

Edie Hemingway said...

Thank you all for your good wishes! Last year's conference will be a hard one to beat. Wish I could get all the spuds together somewhere.

Diane Adams said...

Edie,
Just checking in for the first time in awhile! I am hoping to go to the summer SCBWI. Will let you know when my plans are firm. Love your summer schedule. So much good stuff going on!!!

Terrence M said...

Appreciate this blog ppost