Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

6/7/12

Summer's here

The catalpa trees are in full bloom and yesterday after a nice shower, a carpet of white blossoms lay under each one. I always associate those blossoms with my daughter's birthday, which is this week. They were blooming when she was born and a friend brought a bouquet to the hospital.

I had a yoga retreat last weekend and that was a wonderful transition from working with hundreds of young authors to focusing on what I want to do this summer.

A new picture book is close to being ready to send off and I'm continuing to revise a YA novel. I'm also going to Printer's Row Book Festival this weekend in Chicago where I will be on a panel with Barry Lyga, Stephanie Hemphill, and Daniel Kraus. I am eager to hear what they have to say.

And I'm pleased I will get to be with my sister who lives there on the day my mother would have turned 80. We will tell stories together and think about all the ways her love of books and words is part of us.

10 comments:

Christy said...

John, I love the image of the carpet of catalpa blossoms, and then hearing their special associations for you. Such a sense of the many cycles of life as I consider your post.

Congratulations on your new picture book; best wishes on your novel revisions, and happy travels to your panel and to be with your sister.

Lauren said...

What a perfect way to transition John- a yoga retreat! And e image of the Catalpa blossoms is wonderful! For my daughter it was daffodils opening all over the city and for my son, it was fall purple asters. The flowers blooming at birth seem very meaningful. Have a great panel and a wonderful time with your sister.

john said...

Thank you Christy and Lauren. I love these warm evenings. Summer's here.

Edie Hemingway said...

John,
I think a yoga retreat would be the perfect transition from one season to the next, and when you throw in the catalpa blossoms, it's perfect! Enjoy the panel this weekend and, especially, your time with your sister, celebrating memories.

scp said...

Hey, John! We're down in Chicago, too. Hasn't the weather has been absolutely beautiful? We'll try to get down to see you if our schedule with visiting relatives permits.

john said...

That would be great. I'm also reading at Anderson's in Naperville on Monday evening at seven.

Mark said...

Enjoy your travels, John, and the time with your sister.

Good luck on your projects, too. Have we heard of this YA novel before?

Stephanie said...

Looking forward to hearing more about the new projects:)

Diane Adams said...

Such a poetic post John. Loved reading it!

David LaRochelle said...

Your new picture book is wonderful, John. Watching it change and get stronger in our critique group has been inspiring for me.