Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

3/26/12

The gift of new ideas

New ideas come in the form of surprises sometimes. I'm reworking two books right now, and on a trip to visit our son in Utah two weeks ago, I watched a little girl with Down's Syndrome excitedly tell her mom that the pizza parlor we were in served bread. Her enthusiasm for the basket of bread delighted me and I realized that my story needed some of her wide-eyed delight for the simple things in life. I realized that I needed this for myself too. God bless that little girl!

Another story having to do with wheels was getting yawns from the publishers, until I watched the people at my mom's new board and care home navigate in their walkers and wheelchairs. Wouldn't a child who is obsessed by wheels be delighted to ride in a wheelchair with his grandparent? Wouldn't a grandparent love being the center of positive attention in his or her wheelchair? Another surprise that ended up in a story.

It has been an arduous two months for my family, but in the middle of it all, joy has reared its beautiful head and shown me that seeds of hope and ideas are all around, especially where they're least expected. We are here to help each other and I'm amazed at the gifts that are available when one is open to them.

7 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Diane,
Sorry to hear your family is going through an arduous time. Those seeds of hope and joy are wonderful and so necessary!

I have a vivid memory as a 6-year-old, visiting my mother's cousin, who was wheelchair-bound. I was so enthralled by that wheelchair, and my wonderful great uncle literally ran around the block, pushing me in the wheelchair. I was overjoyed!

Christy said...

Diane, I too, am sorry to hear that your family is in a difficult period. Those little moments are so affirming if you have the ability to see them. I look forward to seeing how you weave those moments of wonder into your stories.

Lauren said...

I have photos of my daughter, age 2, riding in my dad's wheel chair, pushed by my sister. I can still remember his smiling face from the porch. Being open to ideas even in the midst of difficult times is a gift. Take good care, Diane.

Stephanie said...

I love how the simple joys of children can make us rethink how we see things. Hugs to you, and I hope all is better soon:)

Diane Adams said...

I love your wheelchair memories!! Thank you for your kind thoughts. I am amazed at how much beauty I'm able to see in the midst of sorrow. How does that work?

David LaRochelle said...

I'm glad life is surprising you with gifts of joy during this tough time, Diane. I hope you can continue to find beauty around you.

Unknown said...

I think it takes a special openness to spot the joy in a little girl rejoicing over bread, and a solid knowledge of children to understand the fascination with wheels. Makes me want to open up and take a walk just because.