I don't seem to have a shortage of ideas, only a shortage of time to pursue them. Here are ten ways I keep my well overflowing:
1. Travel to a setting I love and immerse myself.
2. Travel to a new setting and explore not only the physical details, but also the people, the way of life, the diction, etc.
3. Read a good book and figure out why it's so good.
4. Go to a conference or workshop and open my mind to inspiration.
5. Talk to my parents about their childhood experiences and take copious notes.
6. Paddle a kayak on still water.
7. Get up early and listen to the birds.
8. Listen to baroque music to put my mind in order.
9. Listen to my grandson, Connor, play the piano--classical, jazz, ragtime, hymns and Broadway tunes. He's amazing!
10. Spend time with fellow writers.
11. Communicate with my fellow spuds.
Oh, I guess I said ten ways, but I can't possibly leave out the spuds!