Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/2/09

Recent Raves...



As a lover of fiction, I always have to coax myself into reading nonfiction. But nine times out of ten, I end up thinking the read is fantastic, and I end up googling the people in the story to find out more about them. And then I wonder why I just don't read more non-fiction.

This past week, I went to the library and was happy to discover a book I'd been wanting to read:

The Year We Disappeared by Cylin Busby and her father, John Busby. Although I'm quite certain this is marketed as children's non-fiction, it was in the adult non-fiction. Be that as it may, the book enthralled me and I can't recommend it enough.

Told through alternating points of view, that of father and daughter, the book tells the story of the year when Cylin was nine and her policeman father was shot. It is not a routine story of policeman shot in the line of duty, because he suspects the shooting was intentional, in order to prevent him from testifying at an upcoming trial. So the family gets placed under twenty-four hour armed guard, and their life changes.

This is where the story begins, and it is nothing less than amazing. And then, of course, I had to look them up online and see how it all turned out....

2 comments:

Mark said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Stephanie said...

You're welcome:)