Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/3/09

Interplay




Checking out new picture book titles at ALA last summer, I fell head over heels for A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams, written by Jen Bryant and illustrated by Melissa Sweet, (Eerdmans Books for Young Readers). WCW’s most anthologized poems “The Red Wheelbarrow” and “This Is Just To Say” exemplify the Imagist-influenced philosophy of “no ideas but in things”. Bryant’s lyrical treatment of the poet’s life is spare. Sweet’s mixed-media illustrations are full of words, cut from ephemera or hand rendered. They are as verbal as WCW’s poems are visual. I love the blurring boundaries of text and image, but am sorry that the stunning way they come together provokes low sentiments in me. I am jealous. I wish I had created this book.

Last fall seven other speakers and I gave keynotes at MAZZA Museum’s Fall weekend. Marla Frazee showed slides and spoke of a recent book she wrote and illustrated, A Couple of Boys Have the Best Week Ever, (Harcourt, Inc.). The book is based on the true story of Marla’s son James and his best friend Eamon’s (editor, Allyn Johnston’s son) week of “Nature Camp” at Eamon’s grandparents’ beach house. Their free time spent inside, eating waffles, and playing video games turns out way more interesting than nature. Marla’s text and illustration work a wonderful counterpoint full of funny contradictions. Randolph Caldecott is howling with laughter.

The Caldecott Committee’s selected these as two of this year’s Caldecott Honor books.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

WCW is the first poet I ever "got". At least I think I get him. It's enough to make me like his poems anyway. I've read about this book and I want to see it. The other one sounds like a hoot too.

Edie Hemingway said...

Christy,
Lovely reviews of both books! And I am constantly impressed with your background in the industry.

Lauren said...

I understand your "low sentiments". There are so many books I see that I wish I had created. Jealousy is a difficult emotion to handle. Mostly I quell my jealousy by realizing how lucky I am to be able to make books in the first place-- then how happy I am to live in a world where books as wonderful as these are made.

David LaRochelle said...

Marla Frazee has become one of my favorite illustrators. At the LA SCBWI conference this past year I got an autographed copy of her book ROLLER COASTER. I still haven't grown tired of looking at it and discovering new things. Each of the different riders on this roller coaster tells a different story, and Marla does it all through her incredibly expressive drawings. I love, love, love this book!

Diane Adams said...

I love Marla's book too. What a gracious person she is, with a dry sense of humor. I had the privilege of taking a class from her at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, and above everything else, I learned the value of kindness. I wish her only the best.

Christy said...

Hi Diane,
Marla told me you took her class. Lucky you. I only got to listen to her talk for an hour at a conference, but was so impressed. Small world!