Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

2/4/09

Five Stars


Katherine Applegate's HOME OF THE BRAVE is the book that has been at the top of my recommendation list this past year. It tells the story of Kek, a young refuge from Sudan, who moves to Minnesota in the middle of winter. He has witnessed his father and brother being killed and his mother is missing. Not only does he have to deal with the loss of his family, he has to adjust to a new culture, a new language, and a climate unlike anything he has known. I liked this book so much because:

#1 It's funny. Despite the serious issues with which the book deals, Applegate has incorporated lots of humor as Kek scrutinizes and responds to American life. His attempt at washing dishes in the washing machine is just one of the ways in which he is baffled by his new surroundings.

#2 It's beautifully written. The language is expertly chosen to convey Kek's attempt at describing America in terms of the culture with which he is familiar.

#3 Kek himself is an immediately likable character. He is hopeful despite his tough situation, and he demonstrates a profound level of bravery.

#4 It was a fast read. The free verse form in which the story is told makes for very quick reading.

#5 It helped me see the world in a new way. Applegate gave me a glimpse of what it would be like to be an immigrant to our country. I can't help but be more sympathetic to other people facing such enormous changes.

#6 It was a departure for the author. I admire Katherine Applegate's bravery in tackling a form/style that is so vastly different from her Animorphs science-fiction series. She succeeded marvelously, and she provides a good role model of being willing to stretch one's self as an author.

Has anyone else read this title? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Perhaps you can round out my top ten reasons why this book is such a winner!

7 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

I haven't read it yet, David, but I will now after your marvelous list of reasons why you like it so much. Thanks for the recommendation!

john said...

I read this in galley form and liked it immediately. I can add two reasons to your list, David.

7. Great description of Minnesota winter and weather clash for Kek.

8. Wonderful title.

Okay let's have a couple more to fill out the ten.

Christy said...

Philip Lee gave me a copy when it came out. I agree, this is a beautiful book. The writing is so fresh. I'm really taken with the idea of writing a novel in verse.

Stephanie said...

9. I loved the fresh view of everyday America through Kek's eyes.

Lauren said...

I read this book almost a year ago now and like you, David, it gave me new insight into the experience of an immigrant to our country-- I think living in MN gave it even more familiar appeal. Just after finishing it, I was flying into MN from a conference in CA last March-- it was snowing and I had to get to Southwest High school to see a play Ruby was in-- straight from the airport, so I took a cab. The driver was from Somalia and had lived here several years-- long enough to have graduated from Washburn high school. We talked about his experience starting school in MN-- his strongest memory though was the refugee camp in Kenya-- there he said he almost converted to Christianity. He was there at Christmas and he said the celebrations were so simple yet powerful. Then he said he arrived here and once he witnessed Christmas in the States, he said he was happy to remain Muslim-- "It is too much-- all the buy, buy, buy." I told him about the book and he wrote it down-- I don't know if he ever read it, but I have very strong memories of that drive, the snow, the sharing of stories... and the book!

David LaRochelle said...

Thanks, Potatoes, for helping fill out this list. And I'm very happy to see that so many other people have read it. I always want good books to have the wide audience they deserve.

Mark said...

Thanks for the recommendation, David. I'm looking forward to reading it.