Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

1/13/09

Making Resolutions Manageable

Like Diane (and many others), I am not a big fan of resolutions. For one thing, “New Years Resolutions” come only once a year, which gives me far too much wiggle room to say, for example, on January 2nd: “I still have 363 days left to start eating right/exercising/landscaping the yard/[fill in the blank], so I might as well bust open that Peanut Butter Cup ice cream/take a nap/wait for a warmer day/[fill in the blank].” And if it’s a leap year? An extra day to procrastinate!

Monthly resolutions/goals seem more attainable. Depending on the issue, sometimes weekly, daily, and hourly goals are needed. Lists help, too. I’m a big one for lists. I make them, if not daily, then at least weekly. Items on the list can include chores, errands, reminders, and stuff to get at the grocery store. At the end of the day, whatever remains unchecked on the list becomes the start of a new list for the next day. (A note for potential list-makers: put a few easy items at the top of your daily list, such as “check the mail” so you are guaranteed to cross at least one item off!)

As for writing-related goals, the main one I consistently fail to achieve is: “read more.” Otherwise, the goal remains the same for the day, the week, the year, my life: keep plugging away on my stories. For better or worse, this is my destiny, my passion, my joy and, at times, my bane. And with each rejection that comes when I check the mail (an item crossed off the list!) I repeat the best mantra I know for wannabe writers: if you’re not getting published, write a better story!

2 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

I love to be able to cross things off my lists, too, Mark. Gives me a tangible feeling of accomplishment!

Lauren said...

Sometimes I write things on my list that I have just done, but they weren't on my list to begin with. I need the satisfaction of crossing them off!