Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/8/08

Cook's Choice

When I was a kid, everyone ate school lunch. Maybe it was the rural area, and the fact that a lot of kids got free lunch, but for whatever reason, we all ate school lunch which made the daily menu a crucial part of our day. And once in a while, that day's square would contain the mysterious words: Cook's Choice. What was that? Just what it sounds like, whatever the cook wanted to make that day. ( I always crossed my fingers that the cook would choose to make sub sandwiches and not pea soup) So our blogging topic this go-round is just that: Blogger's Choice.
I'm in the midst of a move. In the past 18 months, I have left our home in Washington State, moved to West Africa, moved to Wisconsin, and now to eastern Oregon, where we are ensconced in two hotel rooms, waiting to find out when and if we get to move into the house we are trying to buy. So how does this affect my writing?
Fairly adversely. I like routine, to sit down in the same spot every day and write. Having my "spot" changed so frequently isn't easy. And for the first 3 weeks in this hotel room, I've had a rough time. But I've realized it isn't the physical spot that counts, it's the mental one. So last week I finally sat down with my editorial revisions for my novel, spread them out on the bed that isn't mine, plopped down, and jumped back in.
Do I hope to have a more permanent "spot" soon? Of course. But until then, this temporary one will have to do...

10 comments:

David LaRochelle said...

I'm amazed that despite all the things happening in your life you were able to organize all of us "potatoes" and get our blog started, Stephanie. Thank you.

And good luck finding a comfortable mental place to write.

onepotatotenblogspot.com said...

I cannot thank you enough. Living and writing in a hotel, however, should be a setting for a novel.

Stephanie said...

I am having one of those days where I just want to curl up and howl.... I'm hoping that, about a year from now I can look back and laugh.

Mark said...

An inspiring anecdote for those who claim not to have time or space to write... Good luck persevering through your adverse conditions.

john said...

If it makes you feel any better Stephanie, yesterday morning I went in for a consultation with the dentist and ended up with a pulled tooth. As I came home with a bloody mouth, I thought what a nice way to start the week. I am amazed that you are getting as much done as you are and hope the laughs come sooner than a year.

Christy said...

But have there been any plagues or locusts? Only thing good about hitting bottom is that everything goes up from there. Your family is learning amazing coping skills.

betsy woods said...

Chin up, Steph. Write on . . . and on and on.

Edie Hemingway said...

Good luck, Stephanie, as you settle in. Eventually it will become a new home.

Anonymous said...

Well GEE...
...just when I finally get my act together and prep a suncather package...YOU MOVE!

...so did I...
check you email for a new address from Carrie Glaubtiz of Moo-U

Lauren said...

Stephanie, I know you may never read this comment as my week was so filled when you last wrote, but know that I admire you for even finding a place to write in a hotel room with all of your life so unsettled-- especially at this time of year!