Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/5/12

Summery summary

As predicted, my summer was spent dedicated to the new book that I'm illustrating. I just finished painting spread #10 out of 14. The final artwork is due in October, and as long as I keep at my slow-and-steady pace, I'll make it.

When I looked back at my journal entries for the past three months, even though it felt otherwise, I discovered I had done plenty of other things besides sit at my drawing table. I gave presentations at several libraries and teacher workshops, especially enjoying the time I was housed at a beautiful B&B in Lanesboro, MN. I had numerous "game nights" with my friend Gary and others (Dominion in all its variations is our current favorite game). My launch party for It's a Tiger! at the Red Balloon was great fun (and the book just received a starred review in School Library Journal...roar!). And like Potatoes Lauren and John, I spent a day as the "Home-Grown Author" at the Minnesota State Fair's Alphabet Forest, a very happy way to wind up the summer.

My summer vacation begins late this month when Gary and I head to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan for five days. I am very much looking forward to plenty of hiking and time spent outdoors near Lake Superior.

7 comments:

Library Jewel said...

You did so many wonderful things! I am glad I could join you in some of them. Thanks for reminding me of one event with the postcard you sent to me at school!

Christy said...

You look so happy in that picture! I can't wait to see your new illustration project. Sounds like you are right on schedule. I love that your summer vacation begins in fall!

Lauren said...

David, I agree with Christy-- you DO look so happy in this photo! And I imagine you brought much happiness to the Fair goers. In fact when I was there last Saturday, folding origami on a stick- a mom and daughter came wondering why there wasn't the tall author there-- the daughter made a bookmark with you last year, which she still uses, and she wanted to make another! Isn't that wonderful!
What a productive and rich summer you have had and it is still going. I cannot wait to see your pictures for your book.

David LaRochelle said...

Thanks for relaying that story about the mother/daughter at the State Fair, Lauren! Reading that made me smile on a day when all the work I did on an illustration today has to be scrapped...it will be a late night, I guess. I bet the daughter had a blast making origami on a stick with you...and then writing about the where, the what, and the who!

mark said...

Congratulations on the starred review, David! I love the "home grown" author motif at the fair. Have fun on your break, and recharge your batteries so you can paint your final panels before your deadline.

Edie Hemingway said...

David,

It sounds like a productive and fun summer. How I wish our state fair included "Home-Grown Authors." Congrats on the starred review, and have a wonderful time on your well-deserved vacation on the shores of Lake Superior!

Stephanie said...

Congrats, David! Looking forward to getting ahold of your latest:)