Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

9/3/12

Summer summer summer...

I cannot believe it is Labor Day. For the most part, summer is over. In no particular order, here are some highlights of mine, some writing-related and some not.

1. My youngest graduated from high school. Definitely some tears, but also a sigh of relief that our days of K-12 education are over. She is on to be a Duck at the University of Oregon. ( As we are a Badger household, this has given rise to some conflict in terms of the impending football season.I did find myself cheering for the Ducks the other night though. It will be rough if they once again meet the Badgers in the Rose Bowl....)


2. I completed the sequel to The Compound as well as the equally painful first round of editorial revisions. I'm expecting the next batch of notes from my editor this week...

3. I got the contract for my middle grade series signed. The deadlines are wild: Book 1 due Jan 15, Book 2 draft due March 15, Book 2 final due June 15, etc. etc. Good thing I will have an empty nest.

4. My third YA novel The Raft was released August 21. We had a launch party at The Book Parlor, my local indie bookstore, and while I was in Minnesota on our family vacation, my family surprised me with this cake.

5. Another highlight was heading back to Lambeau Field for a Green Bay Packer game.
 
 
6. And I took my youngest to NYC for a couple days. I had breakfast with my agent, lunch with my editor, and saw some fabulous shows. Here we are about to head out to Sister Act.
So it was a great summer, I got a book written, and I'm onto the next season...

8 comments:

Lauren said...

I am just about to make potato salad for Labor Day dinner-- how perfect to find a post from a potato! So great to see you again on the blog Stephanie! It does sound like a busy and very diverse summer- which is just the right kind of summer to have- some family, some travel, some writing and a book launch! Congratulations! I cannot wait to read The Raft-- and I am looking forward to hearing how you manage those scary looking deadlines for your new series-- yikes!

Stephanie said...

I'm fairly freaked out about the deadlines, to tell the truth;) And thank you, I hope you enjoy it!

Christy said...

You've been incredibly productive, Stephanie, and you surely won't have time to mope with your upcoming schedule. Congratulations on your many ripening fruits--new graduate, new publication, and new series!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edie Hemingway said...

Stephanie,

You are incredible with all these great accomplishments--both family and writing-related! Also great to see you (and the rest of the spuds) back on the blog.

mark said...

Sounds like a great/busy summer! That cake looks awesome (notice how I went straight to the food-related part of your post?). It sounds like you've had a good balance of fun and work the last few months -- keep the balance this winter so you don't go crazy with all your upcoming tasks!

Stephanie said...

The cake was delish:)

David LaRochelle said...

Great accomplishments indeed, Stephanie! You have much to be proud of. From what I know about you, I am sure you will make those deadlines, disciplined and dedicated writer that you are.