Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

12/15/10

I'll Buy a Vowel

Ten years ago I made a conscious decision to start a new Christmas tradition with my family. While some relatives are asked to bring fruit salad or wine to dinner, I'm always asked to bring the games. Ten years ago I decided to make a large scale Wheel of Fortune game, and we've been playing it every Christmas since.

The game consists of a three-foot wheel, a large puzzle board, and of course "valuable prizes" to be won (lottery tickets and gift certificates). I get to play the parts of both Pat and Vanna. It's a great way to pass the time while waiting for dinner, and it's something we all look forward to doing together. It also proves that you can start a holiday tradition whenever you want.

6 comments:

Christy said...

What a blast! If we ever meet as a group, will you please, please, please bring this and play Pat and Vanna for us?

David LaRochelle said...

I would love to, Christy!

Edie Hemingway said...

David,
Somehow I imagine you're the most fun and popular person in your family--bringing games and winning contests! Can't wait to meet you in person.

Lauren said...

I have met David in person and he is the most fun and popular, warm and wonderful person. Games are definitely in order when we all get together! David~ we have always had games at our holiday gatherings- but never The Wheel of Fortune! What fun!

Stephanie said...

How fun!!

Mark said...

Great point about starting new traditions, David, and yet another way for you to demonstrate your incredible creativity. I'm in for a game whenever we all eventually meet!