Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/13/10

The See-Saw Life

Ever since the topic of "What would you be or do, if you were not a writer or writing?"came up, I have been wrestling with my answer. You see, I am not primarily a writer. In fact, most of my schooling and adult years have been devoted to practicing and exploring in the world of visual arts. Therefore, for myself, I will reframe the question and ask: "What would I be or do, if I were not a children's book illustrator or painter?" and my immediate answer is-- a writer! Yes, I have fallen in love with many endeavors other than writing or painting throughout my life- gardening still holds fast to my heart and before having kids, I dreamed of moving to the country and opening an herb farm. I love cutting things out of wood and assembling them into something that moves- wooden toys. I would love to be a toymaker, probably taking up a nomadic life, following art fairs and Renaissance Fairs around the country, selling my wooden toys in a colorful wooden booth on wheels. But every time I read a poem, I want to take up the life of a poet and every time I read a great novel, whether middle grade, YA, or adult, I am moved to work on my writing, taking time each day from my drawing and painting to devote to writing. I feel like a single-celled amoeba trying to become two separate selves while retaining the nucleus of life energy in both. It's a see-saw life!

7 comments:

Mark said...

Lauren, being a "dabbler" too, I can relate to your varied interests and how reading/viewing something that speaks to you can be so inpsirational you even consider switching art forms to try out a new one. Do you have any toys you've made while exploring other creative outlets?

Christy said...

Yes! Post some pictures of your toys.

Like you I'm not primarily a writer, so the writing seems like the new thing I've been allowed to do. Please write poetry, middle grade, YA, and adult novels. I'm cheering for you as I explore similar territory.

Edie Hemingway said...

Lauren, you are someone after my own heart--wanting to try so many different things. Although, I don't have the artistic talent you have.

Stephanie said...

I'm sure you would be wonderful at whatever you chose:)And I want to see the toys too. After Elizabeti's Doll, I've become a collector of hand made toys. The first thing I look for when I get to other countries ( not that it happens very often) is their handmade dolls...

john said...

Yes, you can!

David LaRochelle said...

I could see you at a Renaissance Festival in a long, billowing skirt selling your colorful toys, and perhaps performing puppet shows as well. I look forward to seeing more books that you've written and illustrated, whether they be picture books or novels. I have no doubt there will be more on the way.

Lauren said...

Thanks for all of your incredibly supportive comments your dear potatoes. You cannot believe how much this means to me.