Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

4/19/10

Deadlines...




What's the saying? The only two sure things in life are death and taxes? Well, I think in the US we all consider April 15th one of the more concrete deadlines in life. And as a writer, I know about deadlines.


Here on the Potato blog, we have deadlines. We put up a topic for a two week period and then everyone is supposed to post on their appointed day. But this deadline can be flexible. If, for instance, something comes up, like a sick kid, ( Or even a sick pet) we might not get around to posting when we're suppposed to. And other than a blank blog for the day, there aren't really any repurcussions. Potatoes are flexible.


Some deadlines in life aren't so flexible. (Like when your kid is getting ready to go to college and they apply for scholarships. Those scholarship deadlines are rather inflexible. Trust me on that one.)


Some writing deadlines aren't so flexible either. Like the one, for instance, on my latest novel contract which states I have to get The Raft in their hot little hands by June 30th. Yes. That June 30th. Now I know I could tell my editor I need more time and she would probably be okay with that. But I like deadlines because I am a procrastinator. Usually, deadlines should be the mortal enemies of people with tendencies to put things off, but I like accountability. It gets me off my duff and gets me working to meet that deadline. Which I plan to meet, by the way. Just as soon as I get my cat to give me my chair back.


I'll let you know how it goes.


4 comments:

Edie Hemingway said...

Stephanie,
I love the flexibility of our "potato" deadlines! Right now I'm traveling in NC, so may be late with my own deadline later this week.

Lauren said...

Hah! I have three cats and when they are in my chair and I am in a procrastinating mood it is very hard to get them off my chair! Good luck with that cat in your photo-- he/she looks very comfortable.
And this year, I know the inflexibility of those scholarship and college deadlines-- what a stressful year. Luckily, when it comes to art, I am more flexible.

Stephanie said...

Her name is Ficus and she loves that chair. When I'm in it she is either in my lap or sitting on the head rest right behind my head...

betsy woods said...

Potatoes are flexible--my favorite line. Your cat looks mighty comfortable. . . Write on, June 30 looms--