Ten writers for children. All with something to say.

5/13/09

Anxious to read...

The next book on my "to read" list is REGARDING THE FOUNTAIN by Kate Klise. It looks like it will be a fun, light, middle grade novel, told in a clever format of notes, newspaper clippings, and pictures. I'm especially looking forward to reading this because it was recommended by my dear friend Julie Reimer, amazing elementary school librarian and baker extraordinaire. Other books that I've discovered because of Julie include HOME OF THE BRAVE by Katherine Applegate, WORTH by A. LaFaye, and THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows.

Julie is one of the finest school librarians I have ever met. She brings in multiple authors to her school each year, organizes "Books and Brownies" meetings for faculty where she highlights new books while treating the staff to her delicious baked goods, heads an after school book club for the teachers, and along with her library partner Lynn, reads every single book she buys for the media center. No wonder she is always ready with a personal recommendation for any student (or adult) who is looking for something good to read.

Her passion for books and her dedication to children are a great inspiration to me. She's a treasured friend that brightens my life in many ways.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to send a link for your post to illustrator extraordinaire, Sarah Klise, the other half of the team that created your book. The sisters always collaborate and Sarah lives locally. I love their work. It's wonderful knowing such a great librarian. Happy reading!

Mark said...

David, thanks for another "to read" title to add to my list. Funny, but our local library's BookPage mag just had a recommendation for Klise's new book, Dying to Meet You, which is also on my list. Your librarian friend sounds like an inspiration, too. And congratultions on the book you have coming out in 2011...

Edie Hemingway said...

David,
Thanks for the list, and wouldn't we all love a librarian like Julie!

betsy woods said...

I love your photo!

Stephanie said...

What a great picture:) And how lucky, to have such a great recommender of books. ( I loved The Guernsey...)